Disassembling a Cressi Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm beginning to think Soonerwink is on the right track -- my next mask will be one with a black skirt and frame. I'll never see the mold.

carbon

That's one way. Another is to buy a mask that is made to accept a prescription lenses. They are regular masks unless you buy prescription lenses and change which lens is used. In other words, they are made to come apart so you can put the prescription lens in.

Paula

If a man put it together, a man can get it apart!

Nice, except for the fact that an awful lot of stuff is assembled by machine these days! For what it's worth, I asked my LDS about taking my wife's moldy mask apart and was told, "Don't," in no uncertain terms. The LDS said that more often than not, the masks had to go back to the company for proper re-assembly.

Soak bleach in the offending areas for a prolonged period (to actually get into all the nooks and crannies). That will kill the mold. Rinse thoroughly. Use a peroxide soak to chew up remaining pieces. Rinse thoroughly and repeat, if necessary. This worked well with my wife's mask despite it having a bunch of tight spaces created by thick prescription lenses glued in. After diving and the normal gear rinse, her mask does not go into its box for days in order to insure that it is dry.

It's not that bad, unless you have no mechanical abilities what so ever...

I appreciate the encouragement, however some how-to information would help. Have you taken apart a Cressi? The latch-clamp looks like if you pry it, it may just snap instead of release.

I have looked at every mask in the house, about six of them. The Scubapro looks like I could unlatch it with my thumbnail. The only one with mildew is the one that represents the challenge. Is that Murphy's law?

If the kid wants it looking better, maybe she will give it a try. She's an engineering student. The tire cleaner may be as far as I'll take it.

I appreciate the encouragement, however some how-to information would help. Have you taken apart a Cressi? The latch-clamp looks like if you pry it, it may just snap instead of release.

No, but I wuld still try. If it looks like it is going to snap then, you need to be more careful. If you have some small tools to probe and pry (gently) you should be okay.

Is that Murphy's law?
Yes. Is it the one that gets used the most?

If the kid wants it looking better, maybe she will give it a try. She's an engineering student. The tire cleaner may be as far as I'll take it.

Let her do it then. If it dies in surgery you have a great Christmas idea.

I just read what I am writing and it sounds a little mean, it is not meant too.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom