Disassembling a Cressi Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stu S.

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My daughter has been using a Cressi-Sub Sirenetta mask. It has the clear frame. That frame appears to be two individual pieces that lock together to clamp the glass to the skirt.

Mildew has developed between those two frame pieces, and is rather ugly. It appears that these pieces can be "unjoined" to facilitate cleaning, or replacing something. Has anyone done this? If so, please let me in on how these are taken apart.

Thanks / Stu S.

Hi Stu,

Quite a while back, I recall seeing a thread that described how to unlock the plastic pieces in the mask. I too have a mask with mildew that needs cleaning.

I'll see if I can locate the thread and post back here.

Regards,
carbon

Well, I can't find the original thread I was looking for. After poking around here and on other boards, I see two approaches:

1. Use chemicals to remove the mold/mildew. Recommendations include hydrogen-peroxide and/or a bleach and water solution.

2. Dismantle the plastic pieces from the frames. I found some manufacturer's directions that rely on their custom tool to release the plastic frame tabs. Others used the best tool at hand to pry the plastic frames off with the strong caveat about how easy the plastic breaks.

So far, I have tried peroxide with mediocre results. I'm reluctant to try prying the frame off -- I need my mask to dive next week!

carbon

I got it somewhat better using Westley's Belch White whitewall tire cleaner and a scrub brush. That took about half of it off after a couple of treatments. It was just something I had in the garage.

Don't try to pry the frame apart. I had the same problem with a Cressi Matrix mask. I tried to pry it apart to clean out the mold and couldn't get it apart enough without being afraid I would break it. It now leaks all the time and I had to purchase a new mask. I went with an Atomic Subframe because of its strong frame. I also got a black skirt on it. At least if it developes mold Iwon't be able to see it.

2. Dismantle the plastic pieces from the frames. I found some manufacturer's directions that rely on their custom tool to release the plastic frame tabs. Others used the best tool at hand to pry the plastic frames off with the strong caveat about how easy the plastic breaks.

This is correct. caveat is true too.
There is a risk that you might break it and it takes some effort to line it all up and put it back together. Practice on an old mask. Don't try it the first time on a mask you need two hours before leaving for a dive. You should always have a spare mask in your kit. Clean that one first.

Really it is easy. Most masks are much alike and you can pry the parts with a small pen knife.

This mask has a sort of plastic latching clamp that is on the frame top. It is a Cressi Sirinetta. I called a dealer asking how to do it, and he said it is easy. Telling me "it is easy" is not the same as how-to instructions. He offered to do it, free, but that is 55 miles of driving.

The risk of trying it myself may not be worth the reward. That mask is looking a little less crummy all the time.

If a man put it together, a man can get it apart!

I had similar problems with both of my mask.

My older mask, (SeaDive) had a purge. The nose pocket was held on with screws. The frame is connected at the strap adjustment. An old dental pick and some forethought, and it was apart in 15 minutes. Cleaned the groove where the glass sits in, put it back together and it never leaked. It snapped to gether like a plastic model.

My low profile mask, the skirting came undone on a dive, flooded my mask instantly, I could clear it but as soon as I would stop exhaling it would flood. Good news is it was a shore dive, and I was never in any real danger. The good news is we had a spare mask that I used the rest of the weekend.

Using the same dental tool, and my experiance from the other mask. I was able to split the mask where it is joined, at the strap adjustments. While I had it apart I cleaned it too. (really did not need too) and had it back together in 15 min.

It really is not hard you just need to be careful and see how it goes together to get it apart.

If it doesn't work for you then make the 55 mile drive and get a new one.

Good luck

I'm beginning to think Soonerwink is on the right track -- my next mask will be one with a black skirt and frame. I'll never see the mold.

carbon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom