Disappointing OW Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JodiBB:
Hi all!
It knocked all of us down and my regulator and octo started freeflowing due to sand blockage! I went from 3000 psi to 500 psi in 2 minutes! My instructor turned off my tank for me and we tried to clean them out, but the damage was done and I was out.

Think your FF was caused by the wave shock. To avoid it inhale from your regulator and keep your octo's mouthpiece down while entering to water. Even in warm conditions it's not needed many seconds flow to cause freezing with presurized air especially if 1st stage isn't enviromentally sealed. Flow caused by sand is generally quite controllable and easy fix just in and exhaling few times. Check also adjust knob is at max inhale resistance.
Anyway your instructor made the right decision. A week ago made same decision myself and we just had a picnic with my buddy.

Well..it looks like we've got a tentative new date for my final checkout dive...July 2!! Hopefully I'll remember how to dive by then? :wink: Can't wait!! If we abort this time, then I'm convinced someone up there is trying to tell me something?! :11:

JodiBB:
my only regret is that it's taking me SO long to get certified due to schedule conflicts, aborted dives, etc. Again...I'll get over it! :wink:
You've got to believe that you'll come through it with a deeper understanding that someone who blew through the whole thing in a long weekend. With one little delay after another we have been at it since mid February. If we had done our OW dives in early April could we have done them.... yes. If all goes well my wife and I will be certifed tomorrow. With all the extra time we have had to try gear, get extra pool time, read and absorb will we be better prepared when we go out on our own for the first time Sunday (I hope) .... without a doubt, yes.

Meanwhile go skin-diving. You may not be seeing the feature presentation but you'll be in the lobby, smelling the popcorn and seeing the posters up close. You'll also be enhancing you comfort in the water and with a lot of your gear. A few hours on the water will ease your pain.

Time is your friend, even if it's a frustrating friend. Good luck!

Pete

JodiBB:
Diversion...actually, that's how I felt duringmy first 3 dives at Catalina, so I was looking forward to this dive as well...

Oh well..I have a lifetime of diving, right? :wink:

I suppose you're speaking of Catalina island right?
I'm going to be there throughout august after I finish with my certification!
How is it for a new diver?

Thanks,
GR

mrgonz:
I suppose you're speaking of Catalina island right?
I'm going to be there throughout august after I finish with my certification!
How is it for a new diver?

Thanks,
GR

I enjoyed it (Catalina diving) immensely. The kelp beds were amazing, but could be intimidating for some. If you get tangled in kelps, it breaks easily. The most colorful fish are the Girbaldi (state fish...bright orange)...you'll see halibut, giant sea bass, lobster and possibly octopus...

The current is strong, making the boat sway on the way out (take Bonine!!!), but underwater, it's doable...I plan to go out there again!!

Jodi,
If your profile is correct, you're not certified yet?
I'm going to be in the LA area (whittier) from August 3 till the 24th and I'm planning to visit Catalina a few times. If you're certified by then or will get your cert dives, PM me and I might even see you over there!

By the way, how was the temp? I'm guessing 7mm suit needed all throughout, but was a hood necessary?

Thanks,
Gonz

Gonz...

No...not certified yet...hoping to be by this Saturday though!! :dazzler1:

The temp was about 66 at the surface. I used a 7 mm suit throughout my 3 dives and as long as I was moving, I was fine. I used a hood and gloves as the water was definitely cooler at 35 feet! In fact all the divers on my boat (with the exception of the DM) used hoods. When I wasn't moving around (doing skills at the bottom), I did notice my beginning to shiver a bit, but then we move around again and I'd be fine...I personally was glad I had my hood!!

As for August 3 to 24...i'm going to be out of the country (Europe)...but if you're back in town, let me know!!!!

mrgonz:
Jodi,
If your profile is correct, you're not certified yet?
I'm going to be in the LA area (whittier) from August 3 till the 24th and I'm planning to visit Catalina a few times. If you're certified by then or will get your cert dives, PM me and I might even see you over there!

By the way, how was the temp? I'm guessing 7mm suit needed all throughout, but was a hood necessary?

Thanks,
Gonz

Good stuff, enjoy Europa then :)

Let me ask you... What boat/charter did you go with and how much did they charge? I'm trying to find some over there to go with.

mrgonz:
Good stuff, enjoy Europa then :)

Let me ask you... What boat/charter did you go with and how much did they charge? I'm trying to find some over there to go with.

I went with the Cee Ray out of Long Beach...you may want to go with the Magician or the Bottom Scratcher...better boats IMO, but the Cee Ray was my only choice on the day I went...all 3 go out to Catalina...the charter fee was $107, which included air fills (it was a 3-tank dive) and food before, inbetween and after the dives.

If you don't have a buddy, they'll ask prior to the first dive who needs a buddy and they'll help match you up. Our DMs were wonderful and established the atmosphere of the ship...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom