Disappointed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$600 is way too much for that. I am not sure about the system, but can't you negotiate that you just have the pool session with another person? If they don't have enough diving instructors to get you ready in time, they should allow you to get someone external.

My LDS that I was certified at (in NY) conveniently did not rent gloves, but they did have 3ml gloves for the 'competitive' price of $60. They also didn't tell us that until our last CW class was finished, and maybe 8 days before we had our checkout dives.

My sister bought a pair, I used amazon, and got 2 day shipping for like 3 dollars extra. In total I paid 33 dollars for 3mil gloves.

IMO Shop owner should not be instructor.

yeah, i'm just going to have to chalk this one up to inexperience. He knew our timeframe from the day we paid for the course, he knows his process and how long things usually take and he should have been proactive with letting us know and accommodating us. I asked for a partial refund but of course he said no. "I don't break it down like that". I think he should stick with just the technical classes and leave the newbies to someone else. There is actually another instructor (the only other one) who is much better to deal with, very knowledgeable, been diving for 30 years and used to own his own shop.

We're going to go on vacation next week, do the discover scuba (again), finish the pool work with the other instructor when we get back then make another trip somewhere to complete the OW portion. I haven't said anything directly to the shop owner about our negative experience because I didn't want any kind of retribution during the test and pool portions of the course. I honestly don't want to ever even see him again as this whole fiasco has caused alot of stress between my husband and I. I called the regional SDI manager but he never called me back.

My LDS that I was certified at (in NY) conveniently did not rent gloves, but they did have 3ml gloves for the 'competitive' price of $60.

IMO Shop owner should not be instructor.

I think it's a common tactic. Like the shop I know that doesn't give OW students logbooks as part of the course, but has them conveniently for sale for only $50. Or only tells students on the nav course that they need a compass (that should be obvious really) and a slate (also conveniently for sale for $50) when they turn up for the course but doesn't mention it in the pre-course communications.

My LDS even tells me that he thinks dry-suit courses are just a rort to get more money out of people who buy a dry-suit.

Heatheroe, don't give up, if just out of principle. If there is any kind of instructor/student dynamic going on forget that. Go into the shop, look this guy in the eye and tell him that you expect a full refund. From his own mouth he says that he doesn't break down the cost of a class, so instead of a partial refund you should receive a full refund. He knew your time frame and didn't perform the job you hired him to do. Don't let him make you doubt yourself or back down. Calm, cool, collected and assertive go a long way. If he doesn't go for it you could always take him to small claims court.

Hi Heather, SDI/TDI HQ would probably be very interested in looking into this matter, as this instructor is issuing certifications with their name on them. Here is the link:

International Training :: Home :: Contact SDI / TDI / ERDI :: English

If you explain your situation as calmly and as courteously as you have here on SB, they may take it up with your instructor. I am not affiliated with their agency but I understand that they are a really good organization. After all, they know that other certification agencies would also very much like to provide you with training so it is in their best interests to help you.

JM is giving great advice. I know with the company I work for, if a customer calls in, the management team wants to know what is going and if the customer takes the time to write then that carries even more weight with the higher ups. Good luck in getting some satisfaction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom