Disappointed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heatheroe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We started our class session on September 7th. We had our third (and what we thought to be our last) class last night. When we tried to schedule the pool and 2 days of OW check out dives, there was only 1 pool session available for the rest of Sept and no OW sessions for October. We leave for our vacation to Andros (slated to have the 3rd largest barrier reef in the world) on October 20th. Needless to say, we will not be able to dive now. The intructor knew we had a time limit as do most other people in our class so I'm quite upset that he didn't try and get us in the pool or quarry before now. I asked several times if we would have time for it all and he said "we'll do what we can".

We don't get to go on vacation more than once a year so I'm very disappointed about this. Of course we don't want to rush it but I think he could have been more acommodating for $600. If we do a referral in Andros we'll be paying $750 more for the cert dives.

Am I over-reacting? Or should I look on the bright side, maybe we'll try and plan another dive vacation sooner rather than later?

Exactly how I'd handle it. Get a referral and either use another local dive shop or complete your class during your vacation. And no, you are not over reacting. MOST instructors would understand your time frame if you discussed it with them in advance and offer you options to complete your course within your time frame.

Am I over-reacting? Or should I look on the bright side, maybe we'll try and plan another dive vacation sooner rather than later?

Not at all, that doesn't seem like great customer service.

Where are you located that you can't do OW in the next three weeks? Not sure what you mean that there are no OW "sessions"...

You have a class of paid students who need to do their checkout dives, right? What else do you need for a session? Is the instructor unable to find the time?

Just wanted to add that I also don't think you're over reacting, I probably would've had a hard time keeping my cool with said shop's owner. Speaking of, which dive shop is this and where are you located?

Wow, thanks for your perspectives. I didn't want it to seem like we wanted to rush through forgoing safety and proper learning. There is 1 pool session on Saturday and he thinks we can get all the skills done in one day. We need 2 dives over 2 different days. There "might" be a quarry dive this Sunday, he's going to call me back but we still need one more day for 2 last check out dives. I didn't think about a referral from another shop, that's a great idea! Thanks! I'm believe he's short staffed (or just tries to do everything himself) and he's taking a group to some fresh water springs Oct 15-18 so there won't be anyone to teach pool or do quarry dives. The $600 we paid (2 ppl) includes the classroom sessions, pool and check out dives in a quarry. The Fl springs trip is an extra $400-500 per person. He seems like a nice guy (although he hasn't learned our names yet) and maybe he will come through. But I do like the idea of working with another shop for a referral for the check out dives. Would it be a bad idea to do check out dives on the NC coast? We live near Charlotte and talked to about 4 different shops. We went with this one because it was close to home and we could get there by 6pm from the office. I'm thinking we made the wrong choice :(.

That's nuts! No OW sessions for an entire month? Do these guys only dive on Saturday, when the sun is shining, the wind is calm and the vis is 100+ ? Where are you? I would be on the phone to every LDS in the area. I am also amazed that you only got three classes in 21 days and NO pool time. You should not sit back and wait for the next trip. Raise heck! AND remind the LDS that you are looking to buy equipment at some point - that is if they can work you in to their schedule.

That's crazy.. Our local dive shop has OW classes starting every other week and dives every weekend. My wife had a gear issue during the pool session that required new rental gear and they schedule a special pool session for her during the week. They were very accommodating and have classes in the water at all times. If you need to reschedule, the most you wait is a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom