Disappointed with Citizen Aqualand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Three years ago I bought new a Citizen Aqualand dive watch. It was costly, almost like a simple PDC, but I wanted a good wrist watch.
Last week, I put it in my wrist to go to work in the morning and noticed the letters "ER" in the display alternating with the seconds display.
I went to the manual to understand what was that and it said that the pressure sensor should be defective and I must send it to service.
I've been using it only in the pool during classes and some dives not so deep. No sand nor debris.
I've tried the general reset, but the ER is still there after reboot. I also tried removing the battery, but after restart, the ER is still there. I also tried to clean the contacts of the pressure sensor to the mainboard of the watch, but nothing helps.
I now must send it to service and I'm sure it will be a very expensive repair.
I'm very disappointed with this watch. I though that I would have watch for the rest of my life, but it seems that things are not done to last.

Fish dung always happens with electronics and mechanical devices in this world. The true test is what happens after you send it back to the service center for testing and servicing. It is too early to make conclusions now.

Eduardo,
Depending on the model (Citizen has sold at least 10 different Aqualand models), flashing "ER" on the display of an Aqualand could mean two things: a) You have to replace the battery or b) Indeed, a pressure sensor error has been detected by the software and your watch has to go the Citizen Service where they will replace the sensor at a hefty price.
Having said that, I also noticed that you have been enjoying your Aqualand for three years and that is the maximum time that the battery lasts in these units. Two questions for you: 1) Which is your Aqualand model and caliber #. 2) After you removed the old battery you replaced it with a fresh battery right? If your answer to the question "2" is yes I am afraid case "b" applies to your Aqualand.

Get a Seiko SKX007 (or SKX009) or the new Turtle reissue SRP77(X). Or get a Citizen Ecozilla Eco-Drive watch. They are all bullet proof.

N

The battery in my Citizen Hyper Aqualand had to be changed about every three years, whereas the one in my Casio G-Shock lasted about five to six years.

Pool (chlorine) is harsh on gear. I stopped wearing watches or computers in the pool due to the harshness of chlorine. How long are your pool sessions? Quite often pool sessions are longer (sometimes much longer) than a normal dive, which means the battery will be drained quicker.

Shurite7 is right about the pool chlorine being harsh on gear. In the case of dive computers and dive watches with pressure sensors (like the Aqualand, HyperAqualand, Casio DEP 600, etc) the chlorine degrades the properties of the insulating gel in the pressure port.

Eduardo,
Depending on the model (Citizen has sold at least 10 different Aqualand models), flashing "ER" on the display of an Aqualand could mean two things: a) You have to replace the battery or b) Indeed, a pressure sensor error has been detected by the software and your watch has to go the Citizen Service where they will replace the sensor at a hefty price.
Having said that, I also noticed that you have been enjoying your Aqualand for three years and that is the maximum time that the battery lasts in these units. Two questions for you: 1) Which is your Aqualand model and caliber #. 2) After you removed the old battery you replaced it with a fresh battery right? If your answer to the question "2" is yes I am afraid case "b" applies to your Aqualand.

Aqualand model JP1060.
JP1060-01E_LRG.jpg

This is the third battery. When the battery is low the seconds hand moves at 2-seconds intervals. I've seen this already two times.
I will try changing the battery with a fresh one, though the one that it has now has less than 6 months.
Pool sessions are normally 90 minutes. Yes, they are longer than normal dives. It could be that the pressure sensor has lost whatever is inside with the chlorinated water. I will ask in the service.

@emoreira - I’m sorry you’ve had bad luck with your Citizen Aqualand.

Not to casually expect you to run out and buy a whole new watch BUT if you are looking to start over, the below model, BN2029-01E, has been serving me well over the past 50 dives. It’s crisp to read during the day and at night so no problems there but it only works to 70m so it’s not without its limitation if you’re an hypoxic hoodlum or a RB pilot.

Promaster%20Aqualand%20200M%20Depth%20Meter.png

As a retired jeweler we used to sell citizen in our store. We also sold Seiko, Bulova & Reactor. Citizen service was the worst. In fact we cleared out the Citizen products mainly because they would not stand behind their warranty. Get a Bulova Accutron or a Reactor, you won't be disappointed.

Eduardo,

I am familiar with your Aqualand model. As a last-ditch effort it won't hurt to install a fresh battery, follow again the complete reset procedure (i.e unscrew and pull fully out the crown, press the three buttons simultaneously for a couple of seconds, wait to hear two beeps and finally push back in the crown). If after this attempt the display still shows the ER reading, I am afraid the pressure sensor needs to be replaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom