Disappointed in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haremaru

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just returned from a trip to Belize diving off of ambergris and Kaye Caulker. I was sadly disappointed at the lack of sea life in general. I made 7 dives including 3 to the outer atoll. The water was clear but just wasn't much to look at other than a lot of nurse sharks. I didn't go to the Blue Hole and the two supposedly good sites included in that trip so I can't speak to them perhaps they are much better.

I stayed closer to the better dive spots, and I still didn't see a lot of sea life. The reefs were spectacular, but I was really surprised how few fish I saw, small or large. After 8 dives, I finally saw a turtle, a shark, a spotted eagle ray, and a family of box fish.

I stayed closer to the better dive spots, and I still didn't see a lot of sea life. The reefs were spectacular, but I was really surprised how few fish I saw, small or large. After 8 dives, I finally saw a turtle, a shark, a spotted eagle ray, and a family of box fish.[/QUOTE

The sum of overfishing and Lionfish

I went diving off Ambergris Caye in 2006 and was very disappointed also. We asked to go to the marine park or close to it every day, and that was better. The more south we got, the better the diving was. At Turneffe, especially north by the elbow, and at Lighthouse atoll, we had fantastic diving, with tonnes of large sea life and healthy colourful reef. You had to go to the atolls to get great diving.

Back then, Turneffe was uninhabited, Belize itself even was hard to get to, and there were no all-inclusives in Belize. Who knows how things have changed over 11 years later with all of the construction. I've heard it's not quite what it used to be, but it's still good near the atolls.

Hope your next holiday is much better!

As others have pointed out, the region you went doesn't have the reputation for offering Belize's best diving, although it's my understanding some people have been happy with it.

Where are you comparing it to? Where else have you dove in the Caribbean?

Richard.

Just above Belize in Xcalak there are a lot less fish than in Cozumel. Very majestic diving but not a lot of fish.

More fish in Key Largo from what I observed. Belize's saving grace is the triple-dip dives that come with the Blue Hole trip.

More fish in Key Largo from what I observed. Belize's saving grace is the triple-dip dives that come with the Blue Hole trip.
You mean Ambergris' saving grace. Better yet, do a liveaboard which stays in that area and skip Ambergris entirely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom