Disabled and still gets down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a diver and a prosthetist I have made several swim and or dive legs. It's always very rewarding. I now work for a large prosthetic company which frowns on the donating of time or recources but. A couple of years ago I was able to put together a nice Trans-Femoral (above the knee) scuba prosthesis of a patient in my spare time (don't have any of that these days). It was made completely of salvaged and or donated parts all of which were re-purposed from thei original designs. He was eager to get back into the water bcause he was dating a little gal who was a dive instructor. We got it put together and tuned it to work pretty slick. Then he broke up with her and moved to Michigan.. . . I guess the moral is - There is nothing you can do that Romance can't Undo.

Dang.. . I forgot to mention that I'm going to get to put together a trans-tibial (below the knee) prosthesis for a Vet later this summer. I'm trying to figgure out how to break it to my boss that I will have to do some diving on the clock for alignment purposes.

Dang.. . I forgot to mention that I'm going to get to put together a trans-tibial (below the knee) prosthesis for a Vet later this summer. I'm trying to figure out how to break it to my boss that I will have to do some diving on the clock for alignment purposes.
Unfortunately everyone has to suffer for there work from time to time.:D

We are starting our Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project at Camp Pendleton next month (April 2010) and will be needing several prosthetic devices at some point in time. But the VA will, I hope provide those.

Dang.. . I forgot to mention that I'm going to get to put together a trans-tibial (below the knee) prosthesis for a Vet later this summer. I'm trying to figgure out how to break it to my boss that I will have to do some diving on the clock for alignment purposes.

Keep up the good work :D

We work with several VA clinics. Some are easier to work with than others. For the most pare they are very good Veterans. Both service connected and non service connected. For the most part if I'm doing something with a running, swimming, or other activity specific prosthesis it is for a Veteran. Workers comp will sometimes step up to the plate but, it's almost always a fight.

That has to be a satisfying job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom