Direction needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jrock1062

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All

I was looking for a little guidance on which way i should go with my training. I was interested in diving doubles go a little deeper than the 130 and some decompression dives. I have my AOW and Nitrox certifications and I took the Nitrox through TDI and felt it was a good curriculum so staying with TDI, i was looking at combining either there intro to tech with decompression class or the advanced nitrox and the decompression class. any help on the agency, classes and south Fl location would be a big help. thanks in advance for your input

Well for starters, just take the Intro to Tech. Then after you have nailed down all the skills learned there, look at Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures as one package. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to take them one at a time, they are the perfect match for each other.

I'm a TDI instructor in Lakeland, Florida -- though I don't how close I am to you. I would also recommend taking an Intro to Tech Class to work on trim, buoyancy, different kicks (modified flutter, frog, etc), and some skills like dealing with lift bags. That course can usually be done in a weekend. From there Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures is a good combination class.

I don't know what TDI instructors are down south where you are, but if you PM me I'll give you the contact information for the Florida TDI rep. He can surely point you in the right direction.

Doug

TDI is a great program, and allows you lots of flexibility. You can actually make your own choices with them.

I also recommend you subscribe to V-Planner, and play with that to learn about dive times, MODs, and decompression times.

I also recommend you subscribe to V-Planner.
I wanna subscribe to V Planner! I own the software, but I never subscribed.

:no:

...play with that to learn about dive times, MODs, and decompression times.
Seriously now, this is not the way to learn these things, IMO. Take an intro to tech class, like DIRF or one recommended above. V-Planner is a tool for those already trained.

V-Planner is a tool for those already trained.

DITTO!

It's amazing how many none deco trained divers I meet whom say they have V-Planner//Deco Planner or another software program and are advising others on the particulars of making deco dives. Software is just another tool in the divers gear bag IMO.

It does sound as though the OP is on the right track or asking good questions and open to suggestions from those whom have traveled this path!

Dive allot.....read.....ask questions and observe.....seek quality training. I think TDI would offer the OP a good pathway to his goals.

:wink:

I am in a similar situation, but I went a slightly different route.

I am finishing up TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures now. My instructor also threw in (for a very small fee) Nitrox Gas Blender, Advanced Gas Blender and Equipment Service Tech.

We joke that he is setting me up to be the shop fill monkey, but since I am really just a geek that likes to tinker the courses feed my interests pretty well.

Once all of that is done, and I get around 75+ deco dives under my belt, we will start Extended Range & Trimix.

HTH,
Blister

I'm kinda surprised that no one has recommended a trimix class for dives deeper than 130ft?

Might want to look into NAUI or GUE tech 1. Those introduce trimix early so you don't have to be narc'ed for your dives, and so you can have a clear head if problems come up. That's the route I plan to take here shortly.

I also recommend you subscribe to V-Planner, and play with that to learn about dive times, MODs, and decompression times.

Why the obsession with V-planner? There are several other deco programs out there as well.

[edited by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda surprised that no one has recommended a trimix class for dives deeper than 130ft?

Need to start somewhere. From what i can gather the OP has no experience of diving twinsets (so certainly not stages) or the techniques involved. Would be foolish to attempt a trimix course without first being comfortable with the basics of twinsets, stage handling, gas planning and so on.

He also mentioned he wants to stay with TDI so the route of maybe intro to tech then combined advanced nitrox and deco procedures would seem sensible.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom