DIR with a Double Hose Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... You ever find that Spirotechniqu Mask I asked you about before ?
I was excavating yesterday, looking for fins & came very close to its last sighted location.
It's a bugger when the roomie does me favors & "organizes" things for me when I'm off traveling.
Makes me worry whenever I leave the house.
Maybe I'll go take a peek, it has to be within a few feet of where I was digging. :wink:

bwerb once bubbled...
...it's really quite simple. The direct answer to your question would be no. You cannot be DIR with a double-hose regulator (on open circuit).

This is not to say that you can't have a whole bunch of other great "DIR" tweaks to your gear and technique and a great mindset etc., or even that you can't be a safe, happy, great diver.

But...DIR you will not be. One of the primary tenants of DIR is that you donate the regulator you are breathing. Since you cannot by design do this with a double-hose reg, by definition, you cannot be DIR (on open circuit). This is not something to get flamed about.

I'll compair it with a rough analogy..."I'd like to become a Christian, but I don't want to believe any of that Jesus stuff."
In other words...it's kinda the foundation of the system.

Just my thoughts.

:doctor: Interesting concept
But if you are diving with a rebreather than are you not using a double hose? Open Circuit understood
Actually you should use the long hose for overhead environment diving. (I'm just Stiring the pot, I know)

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. Why do people get so hung up on trying to be DIR? If you want to be DIR great. If you don't, that's just great too. If you've found something that works for you but isn't DIR who cares. Why does everyone feel compelled to fit square pegs in round holes?

We are not DIR FREAKS ..it was just something simply to discuss. A different kind of problem to find an answere to thats all..Smile have some fun

hahaha

It does have redundant fingers... more then one........ that is a quality of DIR ........... just shut up and eat your salad lol

I have a late 60's Aqua Lung Aqua Master DA that I just rebuilt, had re-chromed, I replaced all O-rings, gaskets, diaphrams, etc. It looks and works like brand new. I added one of my 'custom' hookah adapters and also have an octopus mounted on it for additional safety! Despite what folks think - these regs perform superbly!

Well,
If you need sources for parts - I have 'em. Vintage Parts by Reb Parts sells kits with gaskets, LP seats, circlips, etc.

Another vendor sells hoses, mouthpiece valves, cages, and flapper valves.

Re-chroming the entire reg cost me $200 US funds. The reg looks brand new.

Its a classic!

Armed with my hookah-to-octopus adapters I sell (design compliments of ew1usnr) - its safer than ever. I have a Mares Axis hooked up to it - soon to be replaced with a Conshelf XII 2nd stage for a more authentic vintage rig.

Cornfed,
Maslow stated that it was a Basic Human Need.
In English? Its the need to 'fit in' with groups, clubs, clicks, circles, society, friends. Peer pressure. Wanting to be like others.

Elite and experienced divers with a good concept badly promoted & wanting everyone who dives with 'round' gear fit into a 'square' hole. IMO, thats DIR.

I could care less if my rig is DIR approved - or not. I dive to enjoy myself and not impress anyone else. Period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom