DIR - using compass and light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds as if you are afraid to take the light out of your left hand for a moment. There are plenty of times when this is a must (or a want). The key is to think and sadly many don't after class.

Not really... I just wasn't sure of any 'light signal' implications or if it was necessary to constantly monitor heading while navigating.

I was only asking out of curiosity cuz it kinda felt clumsy to be swapping out the light and all to look at my compass. I was wondering if I was missing something that they'd teach in the higher Tech or Cave 1.

Get proficient with using the light in either hand ... because what you do with it is really going to be situational. That's why you use a goodman handle. If it feels clumsy, get a thumb loop ... especially if you're planning to scooter.

Don't get so hung up on the "rules" that you forget to think about why they exist ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Okay, the skills problem here is you are spending too much time staring at the compass. So, fix that. But, with respect to your light, the left had is its primary location. It can move back and forth though. On long cave dives, particularly when a large part is spent on scooters, we often switch the light to the right hand when swimming to give the left arm a break from being held out countinuously.

Just remember to make smooth and consistent movement with the light when you're moving it from hand to hand. Also, since we use the lights to look around...some light movement is not distracting in open water...as long as it is not so rapid as to look like an "attention" or "OOG" signal.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom