DIR - using compass and light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, I never got to ask this in my fundies course (since fundies doesn't cover the use of a light)

DIR compass is on the left wrist/forearm, and light on Goodman handle is also on the left hand. How do you use the compass/navigate while holding the light facing forward?

(PADI AOW make you make an "h" with your arms to use the compass on the arm perpendicular to the straightened arm)

Although I don't use a scooter... I am curious on how this works out using a scooter as well, since the right hand steers the scooter, left hand is holding the light... how do you maintain bearing?

I apologize if someone already asked this, I tried doing a search but only came up with threads on compass recommendations.

On my SK-7 at least, a "charge" from my light will keep the "day glow" markings lit for about 10 minutes. Another five second charge, and I'm good to go again. Ditto for the SPG.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't quite clear... I meant to ask how do follow a bearing when your compass is on your outstretched arm holding the light? Won't your heading keep changing since your arm is outstretched and moving around? (As opposed to PADI's compass arm is holding elbow of other arm to keep compass straight)

Or do you just keep glancing at your wrist like a watch? Won't the waving light be distracting?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm nitpicking... I'm just curious & I don't wanna start a bad habit if I can be corrected right away. I might be fumbling about details which aren't real issues.

Aim compass in intended direction. Pick target in distance on that line. Swim to target. Repeat. In low vis, just means more "repeats". Works fine for night swim dives. Scooter guys can address what they do.

Aim compass in intended direction. Pick target in distance on that line. Swim to target. Repeat. In low vis, just means more "repeats". Works fine for night swim dives. Scooter guys can address what they do.

Oh ok, so constant compass viewing isn't necessary?

onfloat, I was just wondering, since finning with arm crossed in front of me, the side window of the SK7 allows me to monitor heading while watching where I'm going. Much like a car speedo.

I was just wondering if DIR recommended constant monitoring of compass at night, since having the compass and light on the same hand would only allow occasional compass checking and doing so would wave the light around. Just wondering if the light waving was an issue or something since light signals/movements (I would imagine) are critical during a night dive requiring navigation.

Thanks to everyone who replied and clarified a lot of stuff! :)

We seem to do just fine without having our heads buried in our compasses. In any case, it's always charged, so I can always read it, even if it's not pointing straight ahead (glance down at wrist). If you want to take a good bearing, just put the light in your right hand for a second. Hardly noticeable. Maybe people elsewhere have more complicated navigational decisions that us, but we've always made it back to the exit.

Hahaha! Thanks Rainer! :) I hadn't gone night diving in a while, so a few weeks ago, I went again for the first time AFTER my fundies, and I just realized that both the compass and light are on the same hand... that's what got me wondering about the whole navigation/light thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom