DIR Tire Gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atticus:
I check mine - that's how they got topped off with ean50. :14:

Are they O2 cleaned? Tires come "Nitrox Ready" but for rich mixes, they have to be O2 cleaned. :shakehead

pure nitrogen should prevent oxidative reactions with the rubber in the tire and should extend tire life. someone would need to do testing to determine if reducing those reactions was actually significant, though...

As usual Tom and Ray get half of it right! :D They used to get me REALLY riled when they misdiagnosed a simple problem. I had to stop listening to them.

lamont:
pure nitrogen should prevent oxidative reactions with the rubber in the tire and should extend tire life...

I don't think this is an issue. There is a limited quantity of O2 in the tire that will cause a small and limited amount of oxydation. The oxygen in the air will be consumed by the oxydation process and then oxidation will stop when oxygen has been depleted.

-Ben M.

ps - If any of you would like to try nitrogen in your tires but don't want the cost you can compromise by buying my less expensive 78% Nitrogen blend. You get nearly 80% nitrogen for half the cost of pure! Just place your receptacle outside your front door tonight with the lid off. I'll come by in the night and fill the container. When you wake in the morning just put the cap on your container and you're all set. PM me for my paypal info and rates including volume discounts. :wink:

airsix:
I don't think this is an issue. There is a limited quantity of O2 in the tire that will cause a small and limited amount of oxydation. The oxygen in the air will be consumed by the oxydation process and then oxidation will stop when oxygen has been depleted.

i ran across this, smells like biased research, but its at least more authoritative than scubaboard:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question594.htm&url=http://www.tirelast.com/id5.html

Never heard of it giving you better mileage though. It would have to be a very small change at best.

I might have just made that up accidently. Maybe I extrapolated that if the gas expansion was less, then the optimal tire pressure would be more consistent....

I was hauling a boat trailer in Florida once and the tires blew over and over...two small or something, they kept blowing up. High rpms...small tires...100+ temps ?

I go to full service once a month so that my tires are checked, fluid added, etc. I get 20 dollars worth and a free car wash ticket...the guys laugh because I am so cheap, I won't get a fill-up. I wait for the kids to pump that...they have been pumping gas since about 6 years old. Once in awhile, someone would out and tell me they are too young. You have to do it young enough that they think it is fun. I notice all the NO CELL PHONE signs are not up anymore...

as long as all the car people are here...I started not using 92 in my x5 which "requires" premium gas....is that bad?

catherine96821:
I go to full service once a month so that my tires are checked, fluid added, etc. I get 20 dollars worth and a free car wash ticket...the guys laugh because I am so cheap, I won't get a fill-up. I wait for the kids to pump that...they have been pumping gas since about 6 years old. Once in awhile, someone would out and tell me they are too young. You have to do it young enough that they think it is fun. I notice all the NO CELL PHONE signs are not up anymore...

as long as all the car people are here...I started not using 92 in my x5 which "requires" premium gas....is that bad?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You know it's funny, all the gas stations here are full service so when i'm in the states it's always a challenge to remember how to work the gas pump :D :D rofl...

Re the gas octane it's probably best to go with what your manual recomments, I think 93 RON is stated as the minimum in the X5 manual.

Anyway the highest octane number is 90 here and people run their X5's on it for years with no problems here.

catherine96821:
The higher compression ratio in some engines (all BMW engines sold in the US) "requires" high octane premium gas to avoid "knocking" (compression detonation in the power stroke). Most engines with electronic ignitions will adjust the engine timing to compensate for less octane, but at a cost of performance.

Elevation also allows you to get away with a lower octane rating.

Lest I be tainted by my association with "ScubaBoard" :D. I guess I should give my credentials. 30 years in the automotive field. Master Certified Auto Technician. The last fifteen of those years was with the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company as a technician and then a service manager.

I have been to all of the ride disturbance and customer satisfaction schools Goodyear had to offer back then. I have also inspected MORE THAN MY SHARE of blown out tires, both automotive and truck. Check out Nitrogen Hype Mostly Hot Air, then Race Goodyear and finally Goodyear Tire FAQs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom