DIR Tire Gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Even Costco does it. better gas mileage, supposedly. N2 more stable under extreme conditions.

:11doh: You're like so 90's. Don't feel bad I just got new tires and my first N2 fill at Costco a few months ago ;-)

I have to admit I didn't know either Catherine. Mind you the new vehicle I bought 2 years ago has under 5,000 kms....

I think I have ean50 in my tires right now. Probably not the best idea since the extra oxygen will accelerate their decomposition, but it sure was convenient.

he he. Now, I didn't say O2.

so...I just can't believe I did not know this. I need to pay more attention.

Do you really have Nitrox in your tires?...I think that's bad. more likely to blow out?

I don't get it ether ..
... as long as your tires are inflated to correct pressure when there cold (as they should be) what difference does it make if the air expands when it gets hotter?

lamont:
what about hypoxic trimix like 10/70?

Given that Helium will diffuse through the rubber walls about 3 times faster than normal air, be prepared to keep topping up your tires.

catherine96821:
Even Costco does it. better gas mileage, supposedly. N2 more stable under extreme conditions.

The only stability comes from the bigger molecule that diffuses slower through the rubber, so your pressure stays optimum for longer and on average you will gain on tire wear and fuel consumption.

Nothing to do with extreme conditions.

If you're interested there is a long discussion among automotive engineers at this forum.
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=120996&page=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom