DIR Reg Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekkie

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to DIR and I have been reading everything on the internet about it. I got certified about six months ago. After certification I heard about DIR diving and I have been hooked ever since. Later on (after I dive some more) I plan on taking technical and wreak diving cources, but I do not want to have to buy a new regulator before I start technical diving. So some money is burning a hole through my pocket and I want to get my first regulator. Here are my choices so far:

Scubapro- Mk25/G250HP
Apeks-DS4/ATX 50 or TX50

Are these good choices? If not what would be a better regulator for DIR/Technical diving.

The thing I don't want to do is blow $800.00 and then find out I have the wrong type for DIR diving.

One last thing what type of regulator do you use for Technical/DIR diving?

Thx.
Tekkie

:help:

DIR does not mean technical diving. DIR is about improving your diving skills across the board. The consensus seems to be that if you're interested in DIR, take the DIRF course ASAP.

But in any case, I think you can't go wrong with either of those regulator choices. As far as I know, the only stipulations on regulators for DIR are: must be able to be disassembled underwater, no upstream valves (jetsream), and the backup should be low performance to avoid freeflows.

For what it's worth, I'd go with the TX50. I use the TX40 and prefer it over the ATX because it has better bubble dispersion. I've never used any of the Scubapro regs.

I don't know what the "official" WKPP/DIR reg is.

But both regs that you have in your post are excellent regs. I think you would be more than happy with either.

I have Apeks and like them. I had shortlisted the same two regs last year and went for the Apeks basicaly on price and a couple of good shops in my area that could service them.

BTW, I am learning alot about safe diving, expedition management, health/fitness, and gear config from DIR. I am not diving DIR.

OD~
GI3 is currently diving Apeks. Detune the backup and also stage regs though. 125/130

Tekkie~
Can't go wrong with the Apeks!:thumb: Tx50 is fine(what I use for stages) TX-100 is even better, if you can find one, they are being discontinued. And Higher up the scale is the 200. It is pretty sweet also. Apeks are easy to service, cheap cost of parts and easy to get, at least here.

Later on (after I dive some more) I plan on taking technical and wreak diving cources, but I do not want to have to buy a new regulator before I start technical diving.
Bad news Tekkie - as I alluded to in your other post on this same question, you're going to need at least a pair of regulators if you're serious about doing technical wreck or cave diving. A second regulator is going to be a MINOR part of the cost of this type of diving (I'm just heading down this path myself - my bank balance can vouch for this statement). Training, gas fills, double tanks (purchase or rental - if you can find them to rent), travel to wreck and cave locations, drysuit, wing for doubles, bigger lights, deco bottles, the list goes on and on... if you're serious about getting a regulator that will be useful for you for "technical" diving, consider getting one that can be utilised as a deco bottle reg, so you can buy a matched pair for a set of doubles later.

TX-100 is even better, if you can find one, they are being discontinued.
The Zeagle Flathead VI is the exact same reg as the TX-100, the only difference is that the Zeagle supposedly has a more durable replacable HP seat, and the new Flatheads have all 3/8" ports instead of having the 1/2" port for the primary second stage.

Thanks for all the replys.

I don't want to get into technical diving right now. I was planning on finishing up my AOW, Nitrox ect... I just wanted to get one set of regulators for now and spend the rest of my mula on training. After I aquior enough dives then I will look into getting dubbles and another regulator set. (first, second stages). I just wanted to get the first reg set so I can do other diving before I go into technical. Example the DIR gear configuration with a single tank setup. I just don't want it to be a big surprise going from jacket bc's, octo under arm ect.... Right into DIR. I wanted to dive the DIR system to get use to it for a wile and then switch to dubbles.

About the regulator. Would the Apeks regulator be a better choice for cold water diving because it is dry sealed? Or do the scubapro regs preform just as well in cold water as the Apeks do? Do any of you dive scubapro regs for technical diving? If so how do they preforme at depth? I was asking this because the scubapro regulators are a little eaiser to get for me than Apeks.

Thanks for all your replys!

Tekkie :confused:

Both ScubaPro and Apex are good regs. I really like the Mk25/G250 combo. It breathes very easily and I have not had any problems with it at all...even in cold water. Piston vs Diaphram really isn't an issue to me as I have never had either fail.

The Apex regs are good but, the ScubaPros seem to breath easier, at least to me.

don't be afraid to have a reg you dont want to use as a primary reg down the road there are many needs /uses for an extra reg argon bottle multiple stage bottles .I also have a complete reg in my save a dive kit [just in case]

Back
Top Bottom