DIR - Pro's & Con's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scrappy : I will not comment on how PADI arrived at what they did as I too am a PADI instructor. I will not comment on TDI .

I will say that you made a comment about using your jacket(or not in this case) to do demos. PADI does OK wing and BP ,I have the email to prove but...

You must do the demo in the same type of gear the students are using. Also if you are using nothing but wings and BP's to teach you must let the students use a "regular" scuba set up as well .

It is highly unlikey if they go to rent gear that they will find a "dir"set up.

Ron

Don't get me wrong I am not putting down PADI, They have done a lot to make diving what it is for the recreational community. There is a reason that they are the largest in the world. They also promote some very good programs like project aware. We do organized cleanups around here a couple times a year. As far as my jacket in the pool, like you said I must demonstrate in what the students are wearing, but in the open water I switch to my single tank bp/wing rig. I only made the comparison to stress how much thought and evaluation has gone into DIR. It does require some dedication, but if you want to dive tech you should be dedicated anyway. Anything that puts an extra risk on your life requires it. I teach casual divers, but I am learning tech.

This post was not intended to discuss PADI just a quick comparison with a large organization that everyone has heard of, but when my students ask why I wear what I do I am more than happy to explain it to them with the best of my ability.

ps. Tom,

I have been through a few of them in the last 2 years, and they are quite interesting, except for the last one we went through.......Sept 11....what a way to get up in the morning and turn the tv on to find out if we were still in typhoon condition one or not. I haven't noticed the club you are referring to, but I will look for you.

Shane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom