DIR - Pro's & Con's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone purchased the GUE/DIR book(s)? Any good?

Just starting out the "DIR fundamentals" is an excellent overview and explanation. Highly Recommended.

"Beyond the daylight zone" the fundamentals of Cave diving.

"Getting clear on the basics"the fundamentals of technical diving

Both of the last two are excellent books! They both have a ton, no make that 2 tons of excellent information.

I started diving about 1 1/2 years ago.When i got into the sport i never even heard of dir.A lot of the people i knew were sport divers and mostly had nothing good to say about tech divers due to all the gadgets and gidgets they carried.Of course i followed there lead and avoided any kind of tech stuff.

I wish now i had heard of dir or was introduced to it.I personally think it is a great system.I like the fact that everything makes sense and is so simple and streamlined.Eventually when i save some money im gonna head toward the dir route.The best thing about dir is that you dont have to be a tech diver to adopt this.To me it is one of the best rec diver setups too with the ability to expand into tech diving if you desire.

Dont get me wrong i have great equipment now.I currently dive with a drysuit and scubapro knighthawk with scubapro regs.My setup works wonderful for sport diving.But as i progress into the tech side of things it wont be so sufficient.If i had to do it all over again i would certainly go the dir route.

For those of you considering dir read and learn from the dir guys on this board and dont let the local dive shops persuade you away from it or you will be kicking yourself like me.

But like one person said the best way is dis. DO IT SAFE.All the dir equipment in the world wont help you be a better diver...thats where education and common sense come into play.Dive safe!!

Scuba446:

As a DIR "newbie", I've found the DIR Fundmentals book a great resource without all the hype and high emotions that come with leanring about it on message boards. Definitely worth the price!

This is in fact the required reading for the DIR Fundamentals course.

There are DIR courses offered in the NYC area, which might be a bit of a haul for you, but within reach.....look around on this board -- there has been at least one thread about this recently.

http://www.gue.com/catalog/order

Enjoy!

Waterlover and I are trying to set up a DIR Fundamentals Course in PA. We are looking at having it either at Dutch Springs or at a private quarry in Lancaster. Currently, Andrew is available in August and September. You can PM me or Waterlover if you are interested.

Stacey

A GUE/DIR LDS in central NY is having a DIR Fundamentals Course this summer.

DIR is not just owning the right gear - it is a mind set and diving with a system. You have a buddy, dive with that buddy (same ocean thing going).

Reading the DIR-F book is a very good start. I have read it myself 2x and am set to take a DIR-F class this august in the MA area. Theh GUE training will help tie it all together. For the newbies, don't let the way some people come across make you not look at DIR, look at how the system works.

Eric

True,
However, GUE has strict requirements on gear selection. DIR doesn't, but GUE does.

Many sometimes confuse DIR with GUE. DIR is a mindset, GUE sets their protocols, etc.

DIR is also Do It Simple - there was an article in the UK Diver magazine a few months back. Appeared to be a half way house....

Backplates are surprisingly comfortable - just shows looks aren't everything - even with wing nuts in. I personally use mushroom nuts but have had occasion to use wing nuts too (usally when diving US twins as my mushroom nuts are metric....)

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom