DIR - Pro's & Con's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Seeking some opinions (good and bad) on the DIR method of diving.....

What are the PRO'S and CON'S of this method?

As a non DIR diver I would say the biggest PRO is the total system approach they take to diving, from gear selection to training to buddy selection. The system *works*.

The biggest CON is the evangelical attitude of *some* DIR devotees. Just because DIR is an excellent system and works for the GUE and WKPP people does not mean that it is the only way to dive right and safely.

Check it out, research the places and types of diving you want to do and see if all or most of the people diving there are DIR, if so then it would be a very good idea for you to also be DIR.
If where you want to dive there are no people who are DIR then you will need to get yourself and your buddies DIR in order to get the most benefit from the system.

I wanted to see what other thought. I have a full Halycon DIR rig now, but have not dove it - yet. Bought it over the winter....I have my primary on a 5 ft hose, and my backup on a surgical tubing necklace.

I agree, some of the DIR-ers are military-like and boisterous...I would like to attend a GUE seminar.

As you stated above, the problem is that mnay friends I know who dive do not subscribe to the DIR gear configuration, so that leaves my system only 50% effective. Most folks oppose the 'long hose' and backplates for the following reasons:

1. Long hose looks stupid and would probably get in the way of diving

2. Backplate looks uncomfortable

3. BC's look more comfortable and 'tachtical' by sales hype

4. Some folks like a console and not a single SPG on their side

5. If you dive a single AL 80 or Steel 72, you don't have twins for redundancy - and DIR does NOT support PONY bottles

Thoughts?

Try DIS

Doing it Safe.

Use your head and take ideas form everywhere then try them to see if you like them and if they work where you dive.

Training and logging lots of dives are much more valuable items, than any piece of equipment or how it is rigged.

The only con I can think of is if you become a self proclaimed DIR expert and start telling people they are stupid if they don't join your cult :wink:

Dive safe and always keep learning and open to ideas, remember it's supposed to be fun.

PS: DIR wasn't invented by anyone person or group. Everthing in diving has evolved over time and from the efforts of many people across the world.

DIR is not a set up where you buy some gear and rig it DIR, then you are DIR.
DIR is a mindset, a gear configuration, a training background, and a "safety net" attitude that can be very beneficial in most dive environments.
DIR gear configuration doesn't leave room for personal preference.
DIR mindset is diving with DIR people who have the training and skills to be doing the dives that they are doing.
DIR training background is having the training (preferrably GUE) to conduct all dives in a conservative, safe, proven way.
OPINION:
DIR is a great basis to begin and work from, but not a save all/solve all solution. The founders of DIR incorporated a "Hogarthian" gear configuration and safe dive practices and gave it a name, one that draws attention due to the implications of either Doing It Right (DIR) or doing it wrong (personal preference).
Some on this board will say that DIR is the only way to dive, but this is not the case. If you want to work with the WKPP, DIR is the only way. If not, DIR is a great foundation to build upon, but not the end all solution.
Hope this helps

Originally posted by Scuba446
1. Long hose looks stupid and would probably get in the way of diving
It is much more streamlined... ever notice how the normal 2nd stage hose sticks way out to the side... it is a snag hazard of the worst kind! Notice how the long hose wrapping around the back of the neck does not stick out to the side at all.... the normal hose looks stupid in my opinion!
2. Backplate looks uncomfortable
It isn't... looks are deceiving... the big padded buoyant floppy BC actually is uncomfortable for me.
3. BC's look more comfortable and 'tachtical' by sales hype
BCs look bulky and uncomfortable and their tactical trinkets are a big joke.... kind of like the guy that buys Navy Seal stickers on ebay and plasters them all over his car!
4. Some folks like a console and not a single SPG on their side
Some folks need to be looking at their spg every few seconds too... what ever it takes to feel comfortable I guess.
5. If you dive a single AL 80 or Steel 72, you don't have twins for redundancy - and DIR does NOT support PONY bottles
Correct... but do you need redundancy for the dives you will be doing with a single AL80 or LP72? I would answer, *Yes - dive with a buddy*

BTW the other responses you have gotten are very good... and I would like to reiterate that having DIR gear does not make you DIR... GUE training is what will make you DIR.

Great responses! Thanks....I can see I need to head south one day for a GUE class!

You are so right, looks can be decieving!

Once I tried it(BP) I never thought of going back.

Like everyone said, find what works for you and dive it. What some of us like, may not be for everyone, even if we like to think it should be. But definatly don't miss on trying out the system, it works well and is extremely smooth.

Getting the right training and mindset closes the deal, gear is only a small part of it.

That'd be cool....I am in NY......I'd really like to attend a Basic DIR/GUE class...wonder what it would cost?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom