DIR Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski:
So, does anyone own a Halcyon mask and can give any reviews on that? Unfortunately, the scubapro mask doesn't fit me well at all... and none of the shops have halcyon masks in stock... bummer... I have Oceanic Shadow, which is a good mask, but the freaking thing fogs up every time no matter what you do or how you clean it. I hear it;s a common problem and may be attributed to your eyes being way too close to the glass to always perspire the moisture form the eyes on the back of the glass.

I believe Apollo makes a mask that looks really similar to the ScubaPro frameless mask (which is what I use) and also to the Halcyon mask. I used to have an Oceanic Shadow and it was constantly fogging. I thought it was just me...

Rule #6:

Its not worth doing, if you cant look cool while doing it.

one option to look into are freediving / spearfishing masks. Most have the dark skirt and all are low-profile. The dark skirts are to lessen reflections/distractions. Also personaly i would never buy a mask with out trying it if you can theres too many difrences in the styles.

There are a number of "clones" of the SP frameless ont he market- the most visible is the Scubamax version. SP sold the mold several years ago.....

ahhh its kinda like the no #1 rule in skydiving You must look cool doing it... the no #2 rule would be no matter what pull.... glad to the have priorities straight...

personally though i cant stand a dark skirt, i always go for the clear skirt, i love my peripheral vision. never thought or noticed anything about light or reflective distractions will have to think about that next time

i guess for me it would be more of a distraction with a dark skirt as i would keep thinking about it... oh well im just wierd i guess :54:

Alright,.. went across the street to LeisurePro and tried a few masks. Almost all of the one-window frameless didn't fit me at all - they would painfully push against the top bony part of my nose - ouch! So, I settled on Omersub "aries 45" two-window frameless, which seemed to fit well, but a bit overpriced (at $50), in my opinion. One other mask that was comfortable was XS Scuba Merge Mask, but... the plastic connection is horrible.. it looked so flimsy that in any cold water, it would just shutter and you lose the strap altogether. well, anyway, I am going to try the OmerSub mask in the water next week.

Ok, without making this LP vs LDS discussion, I have to say very quickly that in regards to LeisurePro, each time I go there, their customer support is more and more deteriorating. When I walked in, I looked at the display of their masks first, then gave the guy a list of masks that I wanted to see (about 4 masks) that were not on display. His reply was "well, you do realize I can't bring out all those masks for you." That ticked me off, because they are known exactly for that sort of thing that they normally do bring out a lot of stuff for you to see and patiently wait until you're happy with your selection - at least this is how I read many reviews about them on the web. Apparently, this time was not the case. I told him "how do you expect me to buy a mask without trying it first?" Finally he brought out the OmerSub, I tried it and mentioned that it fits well, but I also wanted to see the XS scuba mask. He said, "if this fits you well, why do you want to see anything else then?" WTF? "What do you mean why?!" I said, I am not buying the first thing that fits me WELL, I want to find the mask the fits me BEST!" At this point, I was getting annoyed.
Anyway, I bought the OmerSub, but as I was walking out, I kinda thought to myself that I will never spend another dollar at this shop. ...unfortunately, I have no good alternative local dive shops that a) have stuff in stock that you can try and b) have good customer support/good-attitude.

Get a mask that fits your face---Who cares who makes it! Then replace the straps and go diving!

doh.... I just realized that the mask that I just got - the OmerSub mask ($50) looks identical to Dacor Stryker 2 Lense Mask ($23) and Oceanic Shadow Micro "Frame Free" Mask (also $23)... I guess I didn't do enough research and paid double for the same mask. Now that I think of it, I should have just walked out from that store the moment I sensed the "attitude" (see my previous post). Now I am stuck with a an overpriced mask that I should have compared to similar (if not identical) other masks before leaving the store. Live and learn.

That sucks--- Masks are masks ---As long as they fit your face ---they are good--- do you really think Scuba Pro or Halcyon has a machine that molds their masks...Hell no they just paint their name on it. As you found out that's what the big manufactures do they buy the masks from outside venders and put thier name on them. Just like they do with BCD's/ Bladders--- Diverite= DuraBag--OMS= Some company here in Corona Ca--- I dont know about Halcyon I heard they get some parts made for them and they make the rest-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom