DIR - Light question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver once bubbled...
Got the parts kits coming so I can do all the rebuilds.... got new line to resling the stages.... I plan to use this time "constructively":eek:ut:

If ya send your Gavin up, I'll wax it for you :mean:

MD

Ha! You are a funny guy!!! :D

Hey Pirate- you aren't by chance from South Carolina are you?

MechDiver once bubbled...
http://www.scubaboard.com/t21562/s.html
Arrgh. Could have sworn it was in Tek Discussion. Sorry bout that, under Lights. I think I have the link right, haven't gotten the hang of those here yet. MD

Ok, I looked at it and I still say if you are not scootering, it doesn't matter which hand the light is in. All that stuff about routing and re-routing the light chord while swithching from hand to hand is unnecessary task loading to attempt to deal with a hypothetical non issue. So what if your light gets tangled with the long hose during the donation phase of air sharing? Once the OOA diver has air and is calmed down, the divers are going to have to sort everything out, which could include unwrapping the hose and light chord if they got entangled. Regardless of whether the light chord gets wrapped around the long hose, it won't prevent an OOA diver from getting the reg. A real live OOA situation is not going to be pretty no matter how much you practice it, because it will be the other guy who is OOA and he/she will hit you from behind and rip the reg out of your mouth no matter where or what you are doing.

The Pirate :pirate:

chickdiver once bubbled...
Hey Pirate- you aren't by chance from South Carolina are you?

No I aren't!

Other (besides driving a scooter) reasons to keep the light in the left hand include...

1. Much less of a CF if you need to donate air.

2. Keeps more slack out of the cord keeping it from dangling.

If you think I'm kidding wait till your buddy is holding his/her light in their right hand and then spring an OOG drill on them.

When dropping stages the light is usually clipped off to the right D-ring negating the need to put it in the right hand.

When descending with a scooter or not the light can be held in the right hand to facilitate equalizing your ears and adding gas to wing and drysuit. That's what the thumb holder on the lights is for though it's not really needed.

BTW: I'm getting my Gavin tomorrow (Saturday)!!! Thanks Chickdiver!!!

The Pirate once bubbled...
I still say if you are not scootering, it doesn't matter which hand the light is in. All that stuff about routing and re-routing the light chord while swithching from hand to hand is unnecessary task loading to attempt to deal with a hypothetical non issue. So what if your light gets tangled with the long hose during the donation phase of air sharing? Once the OOA diver has air and is calmed down, the divers are going to have to sort everything out, which could include unwrapping the hose and light chord if they got entangled. Regardless of whether the light chord gets wrapped around the long hose, it won't prevent an OOA diver from getting the reg. A real live OOA situation is not going to be pretty no matter how much you practice it, because it will be the other guy who is OOA and he/she will hit you from behind and rip the reg out of your mouth no matter where or what you are doing.

Are you serious? You really think an OOA diver is going to always come up and rip the reg out of your mouth? Who do you dive with? The people I dive with can see and respond quickly to a light signal and you can bet your ass that I'm going to be signaling them with my light if I run out of air. Two people coming toward each other is much faster than me trying to outswim my buddy to "rip the reg out of their mouth" AND if my buddy sees my signal you can bet your ass that they will have that reg out and be shoving it in my mouth as I get to them. I would and have done the same.

Also, why not hold the light in your left hand? Why will prevention of a CF component not help? What possible advantage do you get holding it in your right hand? I do everything I can to avoid a CF starting and that starts with practice planning and teamwork. There's no reason that a CF should develop in an OOG situation if all the divers involved are on the same page. If you're not on the same page with me we don't dive.

DSAO!

Chixdiver - Get better soon. Sucks to break an arm.

Pirate- are you using a thumb loop on the lighthead?

thanks
eric

WYDT once bubbled...
Are you serious? You really think an OOA diver is going to always come up and rip the reg out of your mouth? Who do you dive with? The people I dive with can see and respond quickly to a light signal and you can bet your ass that I'm going to be signaling them with my light if I run out of air. Two people coming toward each other is much faster than me trying to outswim my buddy to "rip the reg out of their mouth" AND if my buddy sees my signal you can bet your ass that they will have that reg out and be shoving it in my mouth as I get to them. I would and have done the same.
I think you misunderstand the nature of my message. I do not think that any buddy team of divers who regularly dive together, practice skills, plan dives and dive plans, and are generally on the same page will ever have an OOA problem or any problem for that matter that they cannot solve rather quickly and efficiently. Can you actually imagine yourself running out of air without some major catastrophe having occurred (i.e. cave collapse)? If so, you should quit diving now. I can't because all my dives are planned with more than enough reserve gas do deal with problems. The OOA diver will virtually always be some dumb goober with another group that is in a panic because he/she's about to die, and is looking for the closest source of air. They do not give any thought to proper signalling or anything else except getting to a source of air. If you've never experienced a true OOA diver then you don't have a clue about what I'm talking about. It will not be you or your buddy, but some idiot that happens to be in the water in your vicinity. You most likely won't see it coming. Its great to practice OOA drills because it enables you to develop skills and instincts that will aid you if the real thing ever happens to you (but remember, you won't be the one ooa).
Also, why not hold the light in your left hand? Why will prevention of a CF component not help? What possible advantage do you get holding it in your right hand? I do everything I can to avoid a CF starting and that starts with practice planning and teamwork. There's no reason that a CF should develop in an OOG situation if all the divers involved are on the same page. If you're not on the same page with me we don't dive.
You've gotten way off base from the original question, which was why only hold it in the left hand. The left had is where it should usually be held, but not always depending on the circumstances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom