DIR Jon Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkbomb123

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys, new to list. I was wondering if any one uses a spool/reel as opposed to a jon line to hang on a down line/anchor line in a heavy current. How do you set the line up? Do you double the spool line, then rap the #24/30 line around the down line, then clip the 4 lines off on spool about 3' away? Does each team member use his own spool?

Thanks
BOB

Never needed one because...

I'm not doing deco dives off large dive boats. My deco diving is supported by small boats where I can either drift the deco under an SMB or scooter to maintain contact with the upline. I'm not diving off a large boat 60miles offshore with a CF of divers huddled around 20ft.

I saw your post over on the UTD site and in the short term, I would back up and examine why you think you need a jon line. Hanging on an anchor line is a last resort for me, not something I plan for. Cause if your plan is to hang on the anchor, what's your backup?

My back up is to shoot a bag. When doing deco dives I also do as you do. I also belong to a recreational dive club with divers that have various levels of experiance. Sometimes there are 15 divers on a cattle boat that's hooked into a wreck with a whippin current. No real deco just a few safty stops. Not concered about depth of SS@ 20' where eveyone else is, just how long I have to hang on in a whippin current above or below everyone else,especially, when boat is searching for divers that got blown off wreck or got tired of holding on. Deco dives are another animal most DIR/Tec cert.

Thanks for your concern
BOB

Hmmmm kinda sucky circumstances. Since its recreational diving I think I would just do 45, 35, 25, 15?, 5ft stops and try to avoid everyone else vertically. I can imagine one of those other divers snagging their console etc on your jon line (regardless of material) and creating a real rodeo. Likewise do they release their grips and allow your carbiner to move up etc.

Just some thoughts on how to manage the totality of the ascent rather than locking you into a certain strategy/gear/etc.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom