DIR gear okay for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

micknewton

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've read quite a bit about DIR lately and find it very interesting. I'm just learning to dive and will soon be buying BCs and regulators for me and my wife. The DIR gear configuration looks quite sensible to me, and I'm considering buying Halcyon BCs for both of us. I also like the long primary hose configuration, and the necklaced octo setup. I don't think that I'll ever want to do any real 'tech' diving, and I'll probably never take any DIR course. Is there any reason not to use a DIR (or semi-DIR) gear configuration without DIR specific training?

Any recognized configuration is OK as long as your instructor doesnt't have an attitude. Be carefull about the his and hers stuff. You should each test dive before deciding. Specs aren't nearly the whole picture.

They may want the regulators rigged conventionally though since deploying a long hose for a shared air ascent will be a whole other thing. Then again since you and your wife will most likely be paired for your skill dives it may be OK with the right instructor. I'd make sure you understand the routing and methods before broaching the subject. If you seem on top of it you stand a better chance of including it.

Pete

I think the DIR system would be just fine for a beginer but it dose require different training to use. If I had to do it over agine I would take the GUE open water class. Learn the right way to do it from the begining. cave or tech or not. After getting in to diving you my change you mind and want to go into more advaced diving. And DIR training will give you an edge.

micknewton:
Hi All,

I've read quite a bit about DIR lately and find it very interesting. I'm just learning to dive and will soon be buying BCs and regulators for me and my wife. The DIR gear configuration looks quite sensible to me, and I'm considering buying Halcyon BCs for both of us. I also like the long primary hose configuration, and the necklaced octo setup. I don't think that I'll ever want to do any real 'tech' diving, and I'll probably never take any DIR course. Is there any reason not to use a DIR (or semi-DIR) gear configuration without DIR specific training?

i use a backplate/wing, longhose, etc., and it was more complicated initially than a jacket bcd in terms of rigging the harness, adjusting it just right, putting it on, taking it off, clipping everything on and off, wrapping the longhose around your body the right way and so forth. it would be best if you have a gue trained friend that could show you how to do it. the book 'dress for success' is also a good start.

some (at least the one i know) gue instructors teach open water courses for other agencies which are similar to what gue open water course would look like, so you should ask around just in case you could find something similar in your area.

the main advantage of the dir gear imo is that it will work for all types of diving so you don't have to replace things later on (though you still need a bigger wing for doubles and so forth). if you know now for sure that you will never do more advanced diving then this setup may not be worth it for you - at least i'd suggest you try it out first before deciding.

Just keep in mind that there are some techniques or other gear considerations that go with the gear configuration, and your OW instructor may no be familiar with them.

For example, why do you NOT want to have a snorkel if you have a long hose?

These things do matter, so make sure you learn the techniques and other gear decistion that go with the gear.

Ray

P.S. The answer to the above question is that in an air-share when you deploy the long hose it could easily catch on your snorkel as it goes over your head and yank off your mask at the same time that the other diver is having a problem - resulting in two problems. This is compounded by the fact that you probably don't yet have your backup regulator in your mouth - so you are maskless and regulator-less and the OOA diver is probably highly stressed or panicky right next to you. (And that's not even a worst-case scenario).

I have the halcyon set up with long hose. I wish I had started with this int he first place. Now I have almost two sets of gear which is just ready to be sold. I'm not particularly keen on doing any heavy technical dives, but I wanted the gear so as I know how to be better prepared.

Don't just look at the new gear, you must also have an instructor who teaches to these standards. No sense in getting one type of equipment only to have an instructor with another set nof ideals add confusion to your diving. Neither is more correct than the other. It is what you intend on getting out of diving.

It will be much better and advantage if you choose it from the begining as long as you accept DIR concept because you don't need any hassles and buy the equipment agian. At least you are lucky to know other alternative option you can choose. There are many LDSs that regards DIR or Hogarthian as a stupid thing....

It will save you money in the long run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom