DIR gear okay for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

micknewton:
Hi All,

I've read quite a bit about DIR lately and find it very interesting. I'm just learning to dive and will soon be buying BCs and regulators for me and my wife. The DIR gear configuration looks quite sensible to me, and I'm considering buying Halcyon BCs for both of us. I also like the long primary hose configuration, and the necklaced octo setup. I don't think that I'll ever want to do any real 'tech' diving, and I'll probably never take any DIR course. Is there any reason not to use a DIR (or semi-DIR) gear configuration without DIR specific training?

From what I know (very little), the gear configuration used by DIR divers is based on the hogarthian configuration. You need not have any DIR training to effectively use the hogarthian gear configuration. However, some type of instruction on how to effectively deploy each component would certainly be benificial. When you do go for certification, try to find an instructor who is well versed and dives this gear configuration. Answers to questions and tips may be available in the hogarthian forum. Have a look-see.

Regardless of whether or not you go DIR, I would still suggest that you follow that gear configuration. As a very new and inexperienced diver, I've found it to be easier, more intuitive and more robust than the standard "recreational" gear configuration that most agencies like to push. A lot of the guess work around gear selection and configuration gets eliminated.

I agree with the comments above.

The main thing is that it would be worthwhile to have someone show you how to get your harness webbed and adjusted, and if you are going with the long hose it would definitely be a good thing to have someone show you how to do the "s-drill" which is basically the sequence of donating the regulator your normally breathe from while going to your backup, and then reversing that. Most hogarthian divers (probably tech divers but doesn't have to be) could show you this. Definitely *any* DIR diver should know this like the back of their hand (because its practiced regularly).

Good luck and congrats on buying equipment that isn't likely to just wind up gathering dust in a basement or closet.

I trained in a PADI shop and started with standard equipment, and have switched.

The long hose/bungied secondary setup makes a lot of sense to me, but it IS a little more complex to manage. Setting up a harness and fitting it correctly so that you can get in and out of it easily but it's still stable goes much better with a little help.

If the only instruction you have available to you is from people who do NOT use this configuration and are not familiar with it, you are going to have some frustration sorting it all out. I was lucky enough to have a mentor who helped me get the gear together and get familiar with it, and then I took DIR-F, which helped with a lot of small details -- my instructor, for example, showed me how to hold my hand properly to allow clipping off my primary regulator without stress. I would not have figured that out on my own.

Further, if you go on to take any further instruction from your original teachers, and they do not dive this configuration and don't LIKE it, you may run into some irritation or animosity as a result. I have, for example, been informed that, when I take my rescue class next month, they WILL cut the harness off me. That's not a big deal -- about $15 for new webbing -- but it's a nuisance. My mentor, who teaches rescue IN a Hog rig, does not do this.

Just a few things to think about before you commit your money. I love my gear the way it is now, and it's worth the few problems to me.

Check the requirements of the certifying organization. Padi for example requires a number of skills done with a snorkle. You'll have to switch between the snorkle and regulator at the surface. There's an optional skin dive that many instructors insist upon.

The long hose and snorkle do NOT go together very well. As stated before, it's easy to accidently remove your mask when deploying in an out of air situation.

It might be better to take training with a standard length hose if you can't find an instructor who is used to a long hose. This is because the instructor will not be able to help you learn proper placement and storage, how to clip it off etc.

TSandM:
Further, if you go on to take any further instruction from your original teachers, and they do not dive this configuration and don't LIKE it, you may run into some irritation or animosity as a result. I have, for example, been informed that, when I take my rescue class next month, they WILL cut the harness off me. That's not a big deal -- about $15 for new webbing -- but it's a nuisance. My mentor, who teaches rescue IN a Hog rig, does not do this.

Uh, that seems kinda bogus. I'd want $15 knocked off the cost of the class.

As far as the original question goes though...

I did BOW in standard jacket BC and wetsuit and stuff. Post-BOW dive #1 for me was all in DIR gear which I'd purchased and a drysuit and I haven't looked back.

spectrum:
Any recognized configuration is OK as long as your instructor doesnt't have an attitude.
We'll be getting certified using the BCs and regulators supplied by Pacific Scuba in Puerto Vallarta. I just spent a lot of money buying wetsuits, hoods, booties, gloves, fins, masks, snorkels, and gear bags for both of us. I probably won't be buying BCs and regulators until later this year.

spectrum:
Be carefull about the his and hers stuff. You should each test dive before deciding. Specs aren't nearly the whole picture.
That might be a bit difficult to do considering where we live. There's only one shop anywhere near us (about 100 miles away) that sells Halcyon gear. Although, they say that they allow you to apply the cost of a rental against the purchase price. Maybe we can work something out with them.

Thanks Pete!

You don't need Halcyon! There are lots of other options for BP/W setups. I dive an Oxycheq plate and DSS wing, and if I were starting fresh and didn't have the friends I have (from whom I bought my gear), I'd look real hard at the DSS single tank setup. But there are also others. Halcyon appears to make generally good gear, but it's premium priced.

TSandM:
I have, for example, been informed that, when I take my rescue class next month, they WILL cut the harness off me. That's not a big deal -- about $15 for new webbing -- but it's a nuisance. My mentor, who teaches rescue IN a Hog rig, does not do this.

Just a few things to think about before you commit your money. I love my gear the way it is now, and it's worth the few problems to me.

To thread hijack a bit, if that is their attitude you are wasting your time taking a class from them. They don't understand diving well enough to teach the class to you. For one thing, there are still open water BCs out there without quick disconnects and there are methods of getting the diver out of these (and a harness) that, unless you happen to have shears out and ready, are faster than cutting the harness anyway.

For DIR gear on new divers it works better. It takes very little on the part of a store/ instructor to teach you how to remove and replace a harness underwater and on the surface rather than a BC. (This is a stupid skill to teach underwater since you don't do this in DIR, but is generally an open water standard.) For the regulator, again depending on the instrucotr teaching you, you may want to use the 40" hose for the class. The bungied necklace should not be a problem because what they would teach would be no different than an air integrated BC inflator and most stores love selling those items. Final note most training agencies require students to wear a snorkel which as stated above does not work with a 7' hose.

snow drift:
I think the DIR system would be just fine for a beginer but it dose require different training to use. If I had to do it over agine I would take the GUE open water class. Learn the right way to do it from the begining. cave or tech or not. After getting in to diving you my change you mind and want to go into more advaced diving. And DIR training will give you an edge.
The GUE open water course requires that you already be open water certified by another agency, such as PADI , NAUI, etc. Then there's the problem of finding a place to take the course.

That might be a bit difficult to do considering where we live. There's only one shop anywhere near us (about 100 miles away) that sells Halcyon gear. Although, they say that they allow you to apply the cost of a rental against the purchase price. Maybe we can work something out with them.

If you decide to buy a BP/W (which I personally feel would be absolutely great for just about any new diver), check out the different brands out there. As Lynne mentioned, Halcyon isn't your only choice. As an example, a company called Deep Sea Supply offers systems also. Theirs is unique in a couple of ways including the fact that they offer different sized backplates. So if you are someone who is pretty tall, you could opt to get a large backplate. If your wife is vertically challenged (kind of like me), she could go with a medium or a small backplate.

You should certainly call retailers of these types of systems and get tips on things to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom