DIR Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies,
I think I will order the book for GUE and do what Fetch said about appling the skills slowely to my needs of diving. I would take the DIRF class, but I'm not planning on going to Flordia any time soon. Does anyone know of any instructors that teach DIRF up here in Virginia?

Well thanks anyways,

Tekkie

Tekkie once bubbled...
Thanks for all the replies,
I think I will order the book for GUE and do what Fetch said about appling the skills slowely to my needs of diving. I would take the DIRF class, but I'm not planning on going to Flordia any time soon. Does anyone know of any instructors that teach DIRF up here in Virginia?

Well thanks anyways,

Tekkie

GUE teaches all over the country (and world). Your first step would be finding several like minded people who are willing to take the class or getting a LDS to sponsor it. Then check with either the 5th Dimension or the GUE websites for information.

Hi All,
I'm quite new to this board and do not post this with any intent to upset anyone. My attraction to this site, above many of the others that I have visited, is that there appears to be a great deal of respect among all that participate in these discussions. It is with that spirit of respect that I ask the following question. With all this talk of DIR, does it mean that those of us that are not wholly DIR are DIW? If so then I and my "buddies" have survived a decade of wreck diving while doing it wrong.

When does it go from a series of ideas to make the diving experience safer, and therefore better, to fanaticism?

If I put a swivel with a captive "O" ring on my first stage to pull a hose down and out of the way, is that wrong? 50' back in the U-853 I would prefer to risk the minute chance of that "O" ring failing rather than get hung up with a hose sticking out.

I would simply like some comment on this DIR philosopy.

Be Safe,

Dennis

The facts are that this board is composed of divers from all over the world, with many different philosophies. Some of us are DIR, most are not.

I would ask you to do one thing for me: please do not assume you are going to be attacked for not being DIR. In reality those who are DIR are most often the ones that come under attack here.

Some of us, myself included, believe that all, or at least most, of the concepts of DIR diving are the best way to go. When asked, we will say so.

Is the swivel wrong? In my opinion, yes, because there are ways of streamlining yourself and your gear that don't introduce additional points of failure. Will I call you a stroke for doing it? Nope. You're perfectly free to dive how you choose and are in no way obligated to take my advice or do anything my way.

WW

Hi

Sorry mate, but you'll get your head kicked in on this board for this kind of question (British Technical Term) :mean:

Before becoming all defensive and going to the extremes you need to read a bit and do some research before posting stuff.

www.gue.com

www.gavinscooters.com

www.wkpp.org

Visit these sites first and see what they have to say.

Then read through the many posts on the board regarding DIR etc. These posts include many other links to quality info.

The end result is that if you don't do it DIR then you're just not DIR. Theres no need to assume that it means you're doing it wrong. It doesn't have to be a yes no black or white statement.

If you still haven't resolved any of your issues after that then post some questions which won't get your (see british technical term above).

:D

WW

Perhaps I am uncomfortable with the terminology. Maybe DIB - Doing It Better would - would be more suitable than DIR. Let us stay with the swivel example: I agree with you, I could do away with the swivel with different regs, however my financial situation does not allow me to abandon my MR22 at this time. But it would be BETTER if I could.

Maybe it is just semantics and my comfort zone is way too fragile but I tend to see a red flag when I hear people talking in absolute terms.

Dennis

I don't completely disagree but the terminology is already there and unlikely to change. We're stuck with it and we all have to learn to work with it.

WW

I agree with you, I could do away with the swivel with different regs, however my financial situation does not allow me to abandon my MR22 at this time. But it would be BETTER if I could.

It only takes a $20 hose to start your assimalition.....I mean enlightenment...no that dosent sound good eather:rolleyes:

All kidding aside and quality reg will do a simple hose change will show you what its all about.

Easy change, simple design, well thought out use. Thats what the long hose is all about, and the rest of the equipment choices for that matter.

Tekkie once bubbled...
Hey, This is for all of you DIR divers and anyone else who wants to answer.

Ok! I'll bite.

I have read about the equipment style and procedures used in DIR diving and I was going to get the GUE book called (I think) DIR Fundamentals of Better Diving (or something like that).

Yea! Something like that.:eek:ut:

I was wondering if I can use the gear setup and (for example) the long hose technique without taking the GUE DIR Fundamentals class.

Heaven forbid you use the long hose without taking The Class!:reaper:

Would it be safer to take the class then use the DIR techniques or can I just read the book and use the DIR techniques?

Never, never use the DIR techniques without reading the book, uh, or is it the other way around, Never, never read the book without using DIR techniques. I forget. Oh well you can figure it out.:crawl:

Ok that was a little confusing. What I ment is can I just read the DIR book and be a DIR Diver or do I have to take the GUE class to be a DIR diver?

No! You must have the DIR patch for your wetsuit b4 you can be a DIR diver. :kidding:

The Pirate:pirate:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom