DIR Fundamentals in DFW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beats me, I think it was from some GI3 rant :)

Crazyduck:
Would anyone be interested in a local GUE instructor?
Just curious…
We use to have instructors come to Houston, but since the store offering the training is no longer around, I would not have a problem heading towards DFW to do some training. I am sure others from the Houston area would be interested too

JD

Like I said early on,,,,give GUE a ring for the latest info.. You may have to travel a bit.....Lone Star Scuba--Dallas used to spon. some DIR seminar a few moon ago, not now. I don't know what you are specf. looking to get into in terms of higher level training,,but there are several 'styles' out there. Each agency has its goods and bads, but find an instructor you like and can mentor off. Locally TDI-NAUI-DSAT are the most common. Let us know what you find out!

Contact Michael Kane (MHK on this Board) on the GUE Website; I believe he's taught a few Fundies Classes in Texas before. . .

If anyone gets a Fundies class together in Texas I would be interested.

~Jess

I took my Fundys class with Woody. He was also the DM for my rescue class, but I don't think he's a GUE instructor. He's a great guy and like everyone has said - he's good. My understanding is that he's in charge of the advanced training classes now for ScubaToys. I haven't talked with him in over a year so don't pin me down to particular details, but it's something close if I'm wrong.

The GUE classes require local sponsors. Not necessarily an LDS, but a place to hold the classroom portion. That's a major part of the class. I don't recall the exact breakdown, but we spent about 3 hrs. in class on Friday night, met at CSSP Sat. morning, headed back to the classroom around noon and stayed until about 8pm then met again Sun. morning at CSSP and finished up at the classroom mid-afternoon. There were only 4 actual dives and they were only about 30 minutes each. The main focus was classroom teaching.

It doesn't take a bunch of participants to get GUE to show up. We had 2 instructors for a class of 8. We also had a number of guys that had been thru Fundys & Tech 1 who acted as DMs and shot the video of our CFs. It's a very cool class with absolutely no chance to hide ANY weaknesses. And best of all is that they teach you how to correct what you're doing wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom