DIR Fundamentals in DFW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought a DVD that someone reommended from 5thD-X on what appeared to be DIR for recreational diving. It looked pretty interesting and I was wondering if that type of training was available in the DFW area. Anyone know? Thanks.

You might have to contact GUE direct,,,,,many of their instructors are in Fl./Calf./Co.,,,but the GUE offices would answer your question fairly fast I bet. I am not a follower of DIR,,,BUT I do use GUE DecoPlanner software--very good product. Good luck on finding a localish Fundies class.

http://www.gue.com/student/courses/index.html

No classes running in the DFW area right now. I would definitely contact emerald sea divers and see if they have anything scheduled. Also register with gue.com and you will have a list of the classes that are running and where. More than likely you will have to travel a bit to take the class, unless you can get a few people together that want to take the class and pay for an instructor to come to the DFW area.

Emerald Sea Divers is closed. They were bought out by Scubatoys so you will need to contact Scubatoys now. I am not sure if they have the tech training set up yet.

If you're looking at getting into tech diving you might want to check out http://www.tenata.com/. He is NAUI, not GUE, so if you are looking for true GUE DIR he won't be what you're looking for. My only experience with him was that he did my Nitrox class instruction. He was extremely thorough. I have never dove with him but I know several instructors who I very much respect who have a great deal of respect for him. I'm sure there are some people on this board who know Woody and will probably pipe in.

Scubatoys is answering the phone for Emerald Sea.

If you’re interested contact GUE directly and they will have someone contact you about up coming dates. That’s what I did. Please keep in mind that with GUE you would have the class costs and you are expected to help to defray the cost of the instructor that is traveling. GUE is offering some interesting ideas and techniques to their diving. I am not knocking GUE.

Woody- offers NAUI Technical training. I do not know where he resides since Emerald Sea has gone by, by unless it is at Lone Star. The NAUI technical program gets it origins from the WKPP and some of their ideas. Woody is damn good and I have no problem recommending him.

SI scuba has a PADI TEC instructor named Adam- while we are on the topic. From my past experience he would be awesome also. Then again he would work your butt off also.

Specifically what GUE was offering for the Fundies class was a more ‘militant’ view of diving. The cut away the BS, extras, crap hanging off a diver. They try to cut out the fluff and make diving fun and regular. They usually video the dives to show divers were they are going wrong and work on specific skills. They stress personal exercise, buying dive gear that is not market driven, excellent team building skills and basically they work your *** off. I hope that I do not make it sound bad, it’s just no fru fru diving.
I could not attend the last Dallas class because of prior commitments in the past.
In reference to dive gear- they tend to move divers towards backplate, wings, long hose, and sturdy (heavier) fins. This is from their origins of diving in Florida.
Personally if you’re a diver with all the dive cards this is something different and challenging.

Would anyone be interested in a local GUE instructor?
Just curious…

Best Regards, Andrew

You know, I like a lot of what GUE preaches and a lot of the philosophies of DIR but I would be a lot more amiable to taking DIR-F if it wasn't such an all-or-nothing thing (and I was in better shape :)) . A non-DIR diver would say my rig is 85 - 90% DIR. A DIR diver would say there is no such thing as 85% DIR just like there's no such thing as 85% pregnant.

You can get ahold of Woody here: (his new webpage)

http://www.tenata.com/

You can also get his contact info from Larry and/or Jeff at ScubaToys. I know he does NAUI Tech, but not sure about GUE. I'll find out this weekend. And as Andrew stated, he is damn good. I'd give him my reccomendation any day.

loosebits, where did you get the idea that DIR-F is an all or nothing thing? You have to have a long hose (5 or 7 foot) and a bungied backup, a backplate and wing, and non-split fins. If there are other deviations from the recommended standard, the instructor will discuss WHY something different is recommended, but you don't get kicked out of class for having the wrong kind of backup light, or a quick release on your harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom