DIR for me????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5th D in Issaquah is is in your backyard. People from all over the country seek their advise for DIR diving and education. Call them for more info, or check out their web site. The DIR fundamentals course will open your eyes. Don't be surprised if you find yourself reevaluating your equipment requirements.

Personally, one of the things I like about the BP/W is how easy it is to wear for long walking approaches when doing shore dives.

There are more than a few DIR divers on Scubaboard from the Puget Sound area, and some of us will be at the Seattle area Scubaboard dive at Les Davis on Sunday, Aug. 3rd. join us for some fun.

curtmdavis,

Some of the wannabe DIR guys are abrasive jerks; just ignore them. They seem to be this way on the Internet but not in real life.

I had the opportunity to dive with Tyler Moon and Dave Sweetin during a DIR-F class a few weeks ago. Both are Instructors for GUE at various levels. They were absolutely the coolest guys I've ever met diving. No attitute, no negative comments and they were great in the water. Don't get caught up in the "DIR guys are arrogant jerks" mentality.

DIR is based on logic and simplicity. The gear configuration is well thought out as are the diving practices. You will be hard pressed to make any truely signifigant improvements to the system. It is not narrowminded at all; quite a bit of thought, revision and trial and error went into coming up with this stuff.

Backplates will be abrasive without some sort of exposure protection. When it's warm, I just wear a 3mil and I'm comfortable. The BP is really great, do try it out again.

The DIR-F class I took was $330.00.

Zombie,

You are absolutely correct, and nice to see posts like yours. Dave and Tyler are great guys, as are all the GUE guys (and girls) I have ever been around, and you never see them putting people down.

I call and bug dave every week, and he always takes the time to talk with me and answer my many many many questions and issues. Always happy, patient and understanding. That is what I like about true DIR divers.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...

You will never find a GUE diver or especially a GUE instructor that will hammer you about gear, belittle you or degrade you for not having the top equipment. They will discuss with you the details of why this, why that etc. but they will leave the decisions up to you.

you seem to have a short memory DIR TEK

according to this link YOU seem to be putting down other manufaturers, without even seeing it!!!!!!

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26093&highlight=oxycheq+wings.

general tek discussion - new wing design

SNIPPED

If you run into some of the aggressive and degrading proclaimers of DIR, just contact some of us or any GUE instructor and you will find DIR to be open, helpful and very passive as it is all about education and helping others not forcing a gear configuration down someone's mouth.

DIR Tec Diver... has someone fired a rocket up your bum? That's certainly not the attitude you've adopted in the past! :)

Zombie,

You are absolutely correct, and nice to see posts like yours. Dave and Tyler are great guys, as are all the GUE guys (and girls) I have ever been around, and you never see them putting people down.

I call and bug dave every week, and he always takes the time to talk with me and answer my many many many questions and issues. Always happy, patient and understanding. That is what I like about true DIR divers.

A kinder gentler DIR Tec Diver...........maybe he's just trying to stroke us into DIR:)

I'm not sure what the conflict is. If you're not sure if you'll like DIR, you should absolutely take the class. Sure, it will cost $300 and 3 days of your time, but it's the best way to find out if DIR is for you. Go in with an open mind and decide for yourself.

You could also give a GUE instructor a call and talk through your various issues. Every GUE instructor I have met/spoken to has been very nice and helpful.

I did not put down the other wings, I merely stated a fact. A lot of people and companies are copying what Halcyon has done, and the fact of the matter is that Halcyon's quality, reputation are superior. There are comparison tests done all the time and Halcyon still comes out on top.

In regards to my attitude, you are absolutely right that in the past I have been short tempered and quick to nail people, and that was wrong, and even when people jab, poke or get all aggressive with me now, I will not do it back.

The reason? I spent a lot of time with some GUE instructors and we discussed a lot of things. They never mentioned me or anyone else for that matter, I just came to realize that the best way to go about things is not to beat anyone down, put anyone down or to try to discredit anyone, but rather to just keep speaking the truth, doing the best I can to share what I know ,and to learn from those who know more than me.

We can all realize better ways to do things and how to be better people. I realized that I could improve in my attitude and views in regards to how I speak to people, and sometimes it is hard believe me, but I am trying to be a better example and to do the right thing.

I just don't see the benefit in fighting with people and putting people down. The example I have seen by my GUE friends has helped me to see just how better the reception of DIR is when you welcome people and discuss with them instead of chopping off their head.

OK enough about my personal stuff - back to the topic...

I must say in the past, I too was somewhat against the GUE/DIR croud as I had witnessed to certain arrogance and attitude displayed by some of them/some of the wannabes, however after numerous threads and posts on this board I have discovered numerous divers, DIR or not, willing to help, advise, and point me in the right direction, i'm even now considering the Halcyon explorer and not the OMS bw/wing/IQ harness :)

i hope all the instructors are just as helpful and insightful as the guys on the board, I may even enroll on the DIR-F course myself, if i meet all the requirements :/

Thanks for all your help guys and gals :)

Phoenix once bubbled...
I must say in the past, I too was somewhat against the GUE/DIR croud as I had witnessed to certain arrogance and attitude displayed by some of them/some of the wannabes, however after numerous threads and posts on this board I have discovered numerous divers, DIR or not, willing to help, advise, and point me in the right direction, i'm even now considering the Halcyon explorer and not the OMS bw/wing/IQ harness :)

i hope all the instructors are just as helpful and insightful as the guys on the board, I may even enroll on the DIR-F course myself, if i meet all the requirements :/

Thanks for all your help guys and gals :)

Good luck mate and best wishes for lot's of safe fun diving... give us a run down of where you go and what you see!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom