DIR for me????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curtmdavis

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently entertaining the idea of taking a DIR-F course. The problem lies with that, like so many other people, when I initially discovered DIR principles, I was appalled by the seemingly narrow minded approach to gear selection, as well as the methods or voices some people use to get there point across.
I understand the reasons given for the use of the gear and rigging methods specified by the DIR principle. I find great valor in all of it even though I would not be caught dead in a BPW setup, except for during the course requirements. The BPW being, as far as I know, being the only thing I am personally not now or ever willing to change in my gear or diving style.
As I said initially I was appalled, or maybe it was more of a feeling of intimidation, which I am sure some of y'all could understand with the way DIR principle is voiced maybe to loudly on unsuspecting but relatively experienced divers such as my self. However after allot of time reading what is freely available about DIR, talking to other divers, analyzing there attitude and sometimes skill level, and reading some of the posts on these forums that seemed to by written with some intelligence and not just pounding fists, I have been considering taking said course In hopes of improving my skills as well as learning more about the DIR principle. As a PADI Divemaster, I have spent most of my time diving with students and relatively less experiance divers, and it is at this time I feel like I have reached a plateau in my abilities.
I know that I personally have a lot more to learn about diving then I am going to get from any of the hand me a dime continuing education classes that are normally offered by a LDS, and would like to take a giant bound from where I stand now. I no longer have the desire to be the ego-stroking worm to my one time mentor, who by the way is a fine instructor and one pf the greatest friends I have ever had. It just seems that babysitting students, inflating his ego, and the occasional discount on gear has lost all of its shine, or was the ever any?
At any rate, I would like to hear from both DIR and NON/ANTI-DIR divers out there. Its not that I have become bored with diving in general and I don’t want to be a "better than you are kind of guy” but I need something, and I think this might be the door I'm looking for to get me from where I am now to where I think would be a better place. At this time, I could really care less if I walked out of the course with another card, I am just seeking enlightenment to what has become a seemingly dead end road for me.

I think I can safely say that I am in the anti-DIR crowd. I'm also a PADI DM and a lot of the attitude that the DIR apostles preach really turned me off to the whole philosophy. I think that's probably the boat you're in as well.

Even though I'm anti-DIR, I'm still willing to keep an open mind and try out new ideas. The only thing I'll say about a backplate and wings is try it before you pass judgement on it. I've tried one several times and they really are amazingly comfortable. It's actually one of the things on my to-buy list right now. Plus if you're going to do doubles it really is the only way to go. The tanks feel like an extension of your back and are way more stable than a single tank on a really good typical BC.

If you decide on the DIR-F course take a look at several of the really good write-ups on here about the course. Definitely go with a thick skin and an open mind. I've heard that some instructors are walking commercials for the DIR companies and I've also heard that some of the instructors are really good, fair divers just out there to make better divers. Ask around about the instructor you're considering.

Also, if the only time you're going to try a BP+Wings is in the course then don't waste your money on the course. The skill requirements for DIR-F requires so much comfort and control with your equipment you'll need plenty of experience with the rig you use in the course.

Good luck.
Matt

I'm on the other side of the fence...

I was right royally T'd off that my LDS steered me away from a BP/wings/long-hose configuration as being...something you will get into when you tech dive but won't need for rec diving. I am the proud owner of a Seaquest Raider which I'd love to sell to anyone who wants it. The BP/wings has been utterly amazing...it is a part of you while diving...example...this weekend, diving in a team of three...did a complete barrel roll to signal to my buddies directly above me while frog kicking two feet above the silty bottom...no silt, no drop in trim or altitude...totally amazing piece of gear...I don't even know I'm wearing it.

As far as the "attitude" goes...I have yet to meet a DIR diver in person who was not open, gracious, eager to share, critical of their own mistakes and as willing to learn as they are to teach. The "DIR cyberdiving Zealot" is not to be found in most of the places you might dive...they are out there but few and far between.

If you haven't ever visited...stop by 5thD and just talk to them about your thoughts and the dives they are doing...I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

The DIRF was the best course I have ever taken bar none.

bwerb once bubbled...
I have yet to meet a DIR diver in person who was not open, gracious, eager to share, critical of their own mistakes and as willing to learn as they are to teach.

I second that. I've been through so many gear configs trying to minimize, configure and streamline, I've finally settled on DIR's methods of gear. I've never been happier with how my gear feels in the water, I really couldn’t see wearing anything else. There's bad apples in ever bunch just ignore them and listen to the positive helpful one’s, I’m sure you’ll find many good one's in the GUE crowd.

Hi Curt

The issue is there are a lot of DIR divers out there that have never taken any DIR courses nor are involved regularly with GUE instructors or divers. There are also a lot of people out there that proclaim to be the experts (they are always Navy SEALs too) However there are equally (if not more) of these from the non DIR crowd, but they don't get lumped together because they are from all over the place.

You will never find a GUE diver or especially a GUE instructor that will hammer you about gear, belittle you or degrade you for not having the top equipment. They will discuss with you the details of why this, why that etc. but they will leave the decisions up to you.

For example in my DIRF course there were 2 people with consoles and one with a dive rite wing, and various hose sizes and configurations. Dean Marshall the instructor never once hammered anyone nor made anyone change thier gear. He was very professional in pointing out the advantages of not having some of these things, and most changed their equipment configuarations for sure but a few wanted to leave things the way they were. He left that up to them

That is the norm with GUE. You see the hardcore aggressive people out there for sure, but they have no place in DIR and are not accepted by GUE.

DIR in my opinion has been the best thing to happen to diving. The more you are involved with it, understand it and use it, the more it helps you. It is not equipment, not even the primary point, it is a mindset and way of life complimented by equipment.

If you run into some of the aggressive and degrading proclaimers of DIR, just contact some of us or any GUE instructor and you will find DIR to be open, helpful and very passive as it is all about education and helping others not forcing a gear configuration down someone's mouth.

Welcome. The light will turn on very very soon!

curtmdavis once bubbled...
.....I was appalled by the seemingly narrow minded approach to gear selection.......... I would not be caught dead in a BPW setup.....

That aside, I think you would get quite a lot out of the course. Going with an open mind will make a big difference.

equipto76 once bubbled...
, if the only time you're going to try a BP+Wings is in the course then don't waste your money on the course. The skill requirements for DIR-F requires so much comfort and control with your equipment you'll need plenty of experience with the rig you use in the course.
Good luck.
Matt

I took the DIR-F course a couple of weeks ago here in NC, my report is on the board. The instructors loaned me a BP/wing for the course so you don't have to buy one just for the course. If you have been diving exclusively in a jacket BC then you may have some problems adjusting to a BP. I have been diving a back inflate for several years and I found very little difference between it and the BP. The trim was a little different but nothing a couple of dives and tweeks did not cure. I have read the reports of major differences but I did not see them.

From what I could tell, a lot of the DIR-nazi crap is not coming from real DIR divers but from wanabe's. My instructors were professional and really nice guys...and great divers. They did discuss why they feel some equipment is better than others but never trashed anyone that I saw. Considering I was diving with a console and a computer, I was a prime target. They did push the Hylcon stuff a little hard. Never actually by name but you figured it out pretty quickly.

Your diving skills are looked at pretty hard and discussed but it was never harsh. I was there to learn and I want my instructors to teach me, not baby me and worry about hurting my feelings (and they never came close). I did get constructive cirticizim but that what I came for. I can't learn if I don't know what I am doing wrong. Along with the criticizim was plenty of help to correct the problems.
I am not DIR and will most likely never be. I will never change to a BP unless I totally change my mind and start diving doubles. Having dove both, I prefer my present BC to a BP. I went to the class for 2 reasons. To learn what these guys could teach me and to see first hand what DIR is really about. If I should decide to go into tech diving, then I will go DIR but as long as I stick to my current diving style I will not. I have adopted a lot of DIR style into my diving like the long hoses and bungied octo. It works well and is more comfortable than "standard" equipment. The bouyancy control, alternate kicks, trim and the other information I picked up in the class was worth the cost. If I were to rate the course on usefullness/value I would rate it on par with my Rescue class. Almost totally different material but each very useful in it's own way.

Take the course and decide for yourself. I don't regret the class at all.

curtmdavis once bubbled...
The BPW being, as far as I know, being the only thing I am personally not now or ever willing to change in my gear or diving style.

Why? Have you ever tried a BP&Wings or are you going on what you hear from others?

I dove my new BP&Wings this weekend for the first time. In the past I've used jackets, back inflate jackets and a Transpac II. Personally, I have to put the BP&Wings up there with sliced bread!

Anyway, just curious why you don't like them.

Cornfed

equipto76 once bubbled...

Also, if the only time you're going to try a BP+Wings is in the course then don't waste your money on the course. The skill requirements for DIR-F requires so much comfort and control with your equipment you'll need plenty of experience with the rig you use in the course.

Not true...I mastered it enough in 4 dives to pass....was day 1 pretty...ummm...NO...day 2 however was much much better....

the learning curve for me with the BP & W was really steep...I picked up a lot right away just by recognizing I wasn't fighting my rig....once I did a weight check, it just got easier.

First, I want to thank you for some very positive and refreshing posts. I am almost convinced now that I will take a trip to the 5th D. in Issaquah and discuss enrolling in a DIR-F course.
I would also like everyone to know that I have tried a BP and wing setup. In the water, it was great; unfortunately, many of the dives I participate on during my own adventures require some extreme walking distances, and bare webbing on bare skin is terrible. I cannot say that my OMS IQ is like wearing a t-shirt, but the padding there does help substantially. I would also like to say that my IQ with a backplate inserted is very much stable without allot of extra garbage on it. I am sure I could temporarily rig pads and ECT for a harness, but I really do love my IQ. My point being is that I do not think I will have too much trouble adjusting to a harness BP system. Which I should have clarified is a great system, just definitely not for me. (That is until I buy a helicopter and a boat!) I should also clarify that when I said I was examining other divers, that they were not of the DIR variety if you will, but more of the, “Duct tape that damn thing here and let that hang there.” kind of folks, which is really what started me to revaluate my feelings toward a more disciplined crowd. I guess I meant it as more of a compliment.
I am as I said previously a big fan of many of the other intentions of the group such as the longer primary hose, the bungeed back up, ECT. Unfortunately, I have not had the privilege of actually sitting down with a GUE representative and discussing other techniques to which I am sure, the list is almost endless as well as fascinating. I am rather interested to hear some of the theories about gear rigging and the background for their development.
If I understand correctly, there will be a videographer present during the dives to, “catch us during our worst moments.” I have to admit that this sounds as nearly as embarrassing a appearing naked in a crowded room. Undoubtedly helpful, but simply terrifying. I am looking forward to learning new kick styles and becoming more maneuverable in the water. I would like to think that my gear is pretty streamline now, a result from trial and many an error in the swift currents present here in the PNW, but again eager to learn more about this technique as well.
I hope that my once thick skin has not become soft in my old age. I once made it through Airborne school, and even the hellish RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program). I hope that I will be able to hold back the obvious heartache one must experience when confronted by someone who has his holes drilled straighter than those that we previously put on a pedestal.
The only question I have left, and a very petty concern some of you may think it is, is what is the average cost of a DIR-F course? Again, I would like to thank all of you who posted replies and those of you who sent me PMs. You have all been very helpful and I look forward to more correspondence with all of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom