DIR-F for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson:
Hmmm... from what I've heard, Rec Triox isn't really needed if you intend to go to Tech/Cave 1.

Unlike DIR-F which is a requirement.

Rec TriOx is like GUE's "Basic Nitrox" class. I think it will cert you for a 30/30 Trimix or something like that.

For recreational purposes, it may be a bit overkill to do a trimix. You might as well just save up...practice more... and go straight to Tech 1.

Rec-triox isn't a requirment for tech or cave 1 (as far as I know), but apparently for many divers it serves as a good transistion for DIR-f to tech (again espicially if you do not have any tech training from another agency. From the reports I've read, students really enjoy it .

If DIR-f is was OW should be, rectriox is what is what AOW should be .

I believe that rectriox is all the task loading of tech I, but without the decompression procedures. There's an option for students that have all passed rectriox to take an abbreviated tech I course.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing from people who have taken both about weither that's a good route to go, or if you might as well go straight to tech I...

What made me take notice was when I was told the DIR-F class has two "Fail" categories; a "Fail - do over" and a "Fail - don't come back". Can that be the same "Take DIR-F right after OW" class that you guys are talking about?

I decided to take the RecTriox first, then the last half of Tec 1.

The Rectriox class will open up your eyes and you begin to focus on the issues that will confront you in Tec1. Is is assumed that you have all of the skills required in DirF down pat-you will need them for this class. Situational awareness is critical in the Rectriox class. You can't be futzing with your trim and buoyancy when you're got a CF in progress!

jplacson:
dbulmer... hmm... ok. I can't say I agree with you in that you have to be better to take DIRF. I was fresh out of PADI AOW (which really doesn't teach you squat except how to read a friggin' compass underwater!) So I can't say I was a great diver by any means before the course. I'm not loads better now... but I know I will be now that I know what to improve on!

The DIRF course is designed to make you a better and safer diver. Not to tell you that you suck. It will show you where you suck though. And you will realize that you may fall short in a lot of techniques. But that's all part of learning.

A lot of instructors and tech divers have failed the course... so you can imagine how I felt getting into it. The previous class was composed mostly of DMs and Advanced Nitrox divers. None of them passed either. All provisional.

I don't know if any of them will train to be re-evaluated to pass DIR..or if they just took the course to learn a little more. But either way, they learned a lot as well.

DIRF is something I feel you should take.. regardless of your current skill level. The only people who actually FAIL (and not just get a provisional rating) are total "strokes" ... usually unsafe, gung-ho, ignorant divers. These are the guys who dive deep just to prove they can. The type who leave their buddies with the whole "what can go wrong?" attitude. From what I was told... it kinda takes a lot as well to FAIL the DIRF class.

Agreed.

Take the DIR-F regardless of where you *think* you are dbulmer. It is only going to make you a better and safer diver. As a matter of fact, many people have told me that it is better to take Fundamentals as a *newer* diver because there isn't all those bad habits to break.

Unlitmately, it is your decision, but I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not taking it ASAP.

Derek S:
Agreed.

Take the DIR-F regardless of where you *think* you are dbulmer. It is only going to make you a better and safer diver. As a matter of fact, many people have told me that it is better to take Fundamentals as a *newer* diver because there isn't all those bad habits to break.

Unlitmately, it is your decision, but I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not taking it ASAP.

I took it with only 25 dives. I *HIGHLY* recommend doing it that way. There's less ego to bruise that way and it gets you feedback early before you've built up a lot of bad habits.

There is no point whatsoever in training for DIRF. Watch yourself on the camera first, in class, and then figure out what you need to work on after the class is over.

lamont:
I took it with only 25 dives. I *HIGHLY* recommend doing it that way. There's less ego to bruise that way and it gets you feedback early before you've built up a lot of bad habits.

There is no point whatsoever in training for DIRF. Watch yourself on the camera first, in class, and then figure out what you need to work on after the class is over.
I could not agree with Lamont more here, on either point. I did my fundies after only being OW certified for four months and had about 40 dives. I didn't think the class was all that bad or hard, but I had nowhere to go but up at that point in my diving career. I was also already diving the long hose and a BP/W, which was nice as that was one less thing I was task loaded over.

I had tried to teach myself the frog kick before fundies. Don't waste your time like I did. :) Just go to the class, and learn what you need to work on afterwards.

Jimmie

StSomewhere:
What made me take notice was when I was told the DIR-F class has two "Fail" categories; a "Fail - do over" and a "Fail - don't come back". Can that be the same "Take DIR-F right after OW" class that you guys are talking about?

Actually, if you count it that way... DIR-F has 3 "fail" zones... and 1 "pass".

Pass = You're good enough to continue to Tech/Cave 1 right away.
Provisional = Not quite ready for Tech/Cave 1 just yet... practice more, have yourself re-evalutaed again within 6 months by a GUE instructor.
Fail = take the course again (and pay for the course again)
Stroke = Take up another hobby... stay away from all scuba equipment... snorkeling may be a hazard to you as well. :lol: hehehehe

And yes... that's the same DIR-F class we're all talking about. :) Most new OW divers are easier to train since they don't have any egos yet... and are willing to learn new concepts. So GUE actually encourages new divers to take DIR-F as soon as possible. Now that they're working on an OW course... which supposedly will include everything taught in OW, AOW, Rescue, and DIR-F... that would be the best route for uncertified people.

I wish DIR OW was around when I got certified.

If you recieve a provisional grade do you have to pay to be re-evaluated?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom