DIR-F for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

berty:
PS To the other poster, $350 may seem like a lot, but when you look at how much time the instuctors spend with you, its really a bargain.

Now that's a true statement! Three long days basically one on one. Heck of a bargain!

I'm taking Triox in three weeks and that course is (only) $425 It's longer and much more intense than DIRF. The prices are reasonable no doubt about it.

About DIRF: People who are "iffy” about DIR will change their tune in three short days. The course is extremely positive, fun, hard, challenging but most of all rewarding. There is absolutely nothing Nazi about it. I for one tired of hearing that. It's just stupid.

CALI68:
Now that's a true statement! Three long days basically one on one. Heck of a bargain!

I'm taking Triox in three weeks and that course is (only) $425 It's longer and much more intense than DIRF. The prices are reasonable no doubt about it.

About DIRF: People who are "iffy” about DIR will change their tune in three short days. The course is extremely positive, fun, hard, challenging but most of all rewarding. There is absolutely nothing Nazi about it. I for one tired of hearing that. It's just stupid.

Having just completely DIR-F myself, I can definitely agree, your tune will change. I went in with a very open mind and was still shown what a great course it is. Here is a link to my trip report:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=92113

And as far as pricing goes, as Cali68 says you WILL get your money's worth. Sad thing is, I'm sure it is on par or cheaper than what PADI would charge for the course if they offered it.

I look forward to hearing how the Triox class goes Cali68, please let us know! :14:

berty:
.....snip...

I'm planning on retaking DIRF with Bob Sherwood and Ed Hayes in April or May. Maybe I'll see you there. Good luck.
...snip
I tried to get in on the May class to do an audit and it was full. If you havent scheduled with Bob yet get on the phone. His classes are filling quick for the summer.

berty:
PS To the other poster, $350 may seem like a lot, but when you look at how much time the instuctors spend with you, its really a bargain.

Another way to look at it. If you were in a warm water dive destination you might be able to hire someone to video your dives for you for $99 a dive, and that's probably on the low side for resort prices. And for this you get 1 dive on video with no instruction, no dryland workshops, no explaination of that dive on video.

For $350, you get 4-5 dives on video plus all the "extras."

Basically the class is worth it just to get video feedback.

berty:

can't speak on behalf of other instructors (I just don't know), but with B Sherwood, it is true... the customer support you get form this guy is continues way after the class is over and that in a sense worth a lot more than three hundred bucks.

Go with an open mind and see it as a workshop, not another cert. card. You'll get your weight in gold from this course. It benefits the causal underwater photographer to the "Want to go Tech" diver. Your whole idea of diving will change. (Most experience it to the better.)

The best part of taking it sooner than later is you'll have less "Bad habits" to unlearn.

Good luck with your decision.

I'm sure the class will be well worth $350, but you have to understand that those comments were made in the Philippine setting, where only a small minority has a monthly pay that's even half of that amount. I had the same reaction when I first knew of the cost - the course will have to wait. The cost of the equipment will also have to be considered because there are no BP/wing rentals here, and thats another $400-500.

Matthew:
I'm sure the class will be well worth $350, but you have to understand that those comments were made in the Philippine setting, where only a small minority has a monthly pay that's even half of that amount. I had the same reaction when I first knew of the cost - the course will have to wait. The cost of the equipment will also have to be considered because there are no BP/wing rentals here, and thats another $400-500.

Matthew -

Understood. What seems like "not that much" to us could be a deal-breaker for someone else. It's a typical Amercian response, we have trouble seeing past our own noses when it comes to the rest of the World. We don't intend to be that way, its just the way our culture has become.

That being said, anyone who is able to take DIR-F should strive to do so. :14:

Hmm... have you contacted Martin Lorenzo and see if some sort of deal could be worked out as far as the pricing is concerned? coming from the foreign country myself, I tend to agree that the pricing scheme should be somewhat different for locals in different countries... that's actually the reason that GUE doesn't dictate price fixing for their classes. it is actually up to the instructor to determine the fair price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom