DIR drysuit specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would there be any reasons a person might not dive with a CF200 with all the same options? DUI claims the crushed neoprene doesn't change buoyancy characteristics at depth.

When I looked at the crushed suits, they seemed VERY heavy, and they take forever to dry. I saw that as a negative. I have little experience with drysuits, as I will be buying my first one this winter. I have been trying to talk with experienced people as well as manufacturers for some months trying to learn more.

GUE's recommendation was for a shell suit, and by a wide margin, most of the divers in my area go with this option.

I like Joe Talavera's take on such things. There are issues that impact the function of the team, like having equipment in the same places, learning the same procedures, using the same gas. And then there are things that only impact the individual diver, like what material your dry suit is made out of. As long as the suit fits correctly, permits adequate range of motion for reaching valves, etc., and has appropriate storage, I don't see how it impacts the team whether it's trilam or crushed neoprene.

I'm buying a compressed neoprene suit for the insulation properties. I'm willing to deal with the weight and the drying issues.

DIR is about being a THINKING diver, not a lemming.

TSandM:
DIR is about being a THINKING diver, not a lemming.

How about being a thinking lemming? I don't know I feel like there's something else behind why they would choose shell suits over the crushed neoprene. Wouldn't the warmer thermal properties of the neoprene make that the choice? The longer dryout would be nothing compared to staying warmer during the dive.

I have been diving a CF200 suit for the last 10 years. I know all about the advantages that is why I still have this suit. I do agree that there are logistical problems with the CF200 material when it comes to weight, and drying time.

Weight- If you have to fly somewhere with the suit, it adds a lot to your allowed check in luggage weight. It is even heavier when it is wet and having to make sure that wherever you are hanging the suit to dry wont fall apart. I set up my own drying line with my reels where ever I hang it now.

Drying time-too long compared to a TLS suit. If you have a leak (I know I have had them over the years) you can't repair it till it is dry.May have to skip a day of diving. If you are flying with your suit you have to give enough time for it to dry or else you have the weight restriction issue again.

The warmth issue is minimal. If you take the money you save by going to a TLS suit and purchase a warmer underwear system you will be sitting in a much better situation.

I will be getting a TLS350 in the near future for cave diving. I like packing , and putting on a dry-drysuit on the first dive of the day.

Jim

I'm just not sure what the CF suits bring over a good shell suit. Particularly a tough shell suit. The TLS350 with no overlay is a pretty thin suit, but with the overlays, it seems awfully tough.

I remember asking my DIRF instructor in class these very same questions. Did he feel the TLS350 was up to wreck penetration. Did he stay warm enough on his 24 hour dives in the DUI 400g thermals and his TLS350.

I got the answers I wanted, and decided to go with a shell suit.

I have used trilams, crushed neoprene, vulcanized and neoprene dry suits. Most are custom made to my dimensions and specs.

If you are looking for durability and ability to resist nicks and punctures I would go with a crushed neoprene suit. I have been diving mine for years 16 years +. The trilams are certainly the suit to travel with. They move well underwater and especially with a scooter - less drag tendencies.

The vulcanized is an absolute drag to swim, but it is easy to repair and certainly welcome on those jobs where bugs, oil and other contaminants abound. Neoprene drysuits...nothing like diving with just your skivvies on. But man, do you have to take a lot of lead. Great suit for those penetration jobs, and for work where there are wires, rebar and other abrasive stuff about. A little bit of Aquaseal goes a long way on these things...although the patches look ugly.

What I am saying is that no one suit fits bill. In the end, if you dive multiple environments and certain missions you will need different suits. I use the trilam in the caves. I use the CF 200 on wrecks. As far as GUE/DIR/WKPP goes...team members certainly have more than one suit to match the job.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom