DIR drysuit specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lakewinni

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know or can anyone direct me to the specs for a DUI drysuit. I know its supposed to have turbo soles, pee valve, etc, but does anyone know where I can find the detailed breakdown so I can fill out the form correctly for a signature series tls350. Thanks a lot.

Ok,

This is what appeared in Quest from Dave Sweetin. I Hope the DIR community will forgive me for reposting this without permission in attempt to help someone out...

List,

I have recently ordered my first DUI TLS350 “Cave Cut” and was dismayed to find hardly any information available on the subject at all, in any usual archives.

Having just recently received my suit I had compiled this post during the process and would like to share what I have learnt, that others following the “Cave Cut way”, may have a firm definition and quality information to work from.…

The basic specifications are as follows, with some minor additional improvements;

DUI Signature Series TLS-350 “ WKPP” styled CAVECUT

VALVES
Apeks LP swiveling inlet valve sitting @4.00.The Apeks fixed inlet valve is no longer available…
Apeks Old style “High profile” auto exhaust dump valve (left shoulder)

SEALS
WRIST- Heavy duty Latex wrist seals.
.Specify if you want the latex seals to be undercut by the arm length of the suit, like GI recommends.

NECK-Standard Latex seal.

BODY
Warm neck collar for abrasion resistance from the harness wear.
CF200 material – for a crotch reinforcement panel, to stop harness crotch strap wear.

*Request the old style design pattern, where the accent colour on the torso extends right down to the wrists.
This gives a double layer TLS material coverage over the high wear areas, right through the shoulders/elbows down to the forearms/wrists.

This negates the need of elbow pads needed for the new design pattern which offers no durability in the high wear areas as the accent colour is restricted to the chest area only..

I also chose a simple double layer TLS trilaminate on the Knees in suit body colour for extra durability.
Alternatively you could also order the smallest Kevlar knee pads (29.7cm x 12.1cm)

It is absolutely imperative to order the old style self donning diagonal front zip …NO quick zip!!!
Standard Telescoping torso.

WKPP - DUI Standard Bellows pocket/Velcro flap on side of left thigh.
The bellows pocket needs modifying with the stainless d-ring removed and two small holes burnt with new recommended longer length bungee loops added.

WKPP - DUI Standard Flat neoprene pocket/Velcro flap on side of right thigh.
One bungee loop needs adding

BOOTS
Standard CF200 Turbo soles with Velcro ankle ties.
Supply an accurate bare foot tracing is the best idea. .
Imagine placing your foot on an ink pad and measuring the length actually in contact with the ground is the best way then allow for 400G booties.
It is extremely important to have an exact fitting sole for the turbo boot.
Request DUI supply the two closest sole sizes available to the measurements of your foot outline so you can decide on which size fits best.

If you have the luxury of being able to try different sized soles with the correct booties take the opportunity…

The Turbo sole needs to seriously undercut your actual foot, as this ensures a super tight fitting bootie which is firm to walk in, as opposed to the standard fare from DUI, which requires all sorts of silliness such as gators and fin keepers to manage.

UNDERGARMENTS
DUI 400G Type B Thinsulate undergarment (Cave cut is best, same as suit, although DUI refused to taper the legs which necessitated a trip to the local tailor.)
DUI 400G Type B Thinsulate booties, go for medium unless your feet are huge so as to keep it tight and slick.

HOOD
Rubatex-Wetwear Nitrogen blown neoprene custom hood. (Get the plush lining if it is available)
http://www.wetwear.com/index.htm
G231SN Short neck hood 7mm (NO ZIP!)

Their customer service is horrendous, as was the fit, I had to take it in to a local manufacturer and have 15mm cut out of all main seams and shorten the neck length by 50mm to get the correct fit.
However the suit is now perfect and well worth the hassle of ordering blind from 10,000 miles away ;-)

DRYGLOVES
Nordic Blue Delrin Ro-Lock dry-gloves with Quallofill lining for extreme cold, or normal lining for moderate temperatures. (If required) …or simply neoprene seals like Peter Steinhoff favors (both are excellent)
I have found the Nordic Blue superior to other brands but this is only from my personal experience.

OVERBOARD DISCHARGE
Halcyon Balanced pee valve

Measurement tips

With regard to measurement I was extremely cautious and was very conscious of correctly sizing the suit, I went over every measurement several times and guided my girlfriend in the process as I am fairly experienced in drysuit measuring as all the suits I provide are MTM..
After having focused on bodyfat loss for the last year I am now well into an intense muscle gain phase with my trainer at the gym.
With this in mind I fudged some measurements such as biceps, chest etc while flexed to allow for additional muscle growth, whilst ever so slightly fudging the shoulders and back/lats to allow for growth while shaving the waist/hips.

The resulting suit is truly a work of art.

Copied below is some additional information Dave Sweetin kindly supplied me with;

“The biggest issue is that the dealers just don't comprehend the instructions, or measure enough to be competent. I'm sure that experience with this sort of thing plays some role in the proper fitting, but alas, experience doesn't translate well to e mail.

I recommend using a dealer that measures a great deal. Personally, read the measuring instructions. I read them aloud to ensure my accuracy, and to ensure the customer understands fully what I'm doing, as I measure every suit.

Stand at all times with your feet at a comfortable shoulder width, and look straight ahead...do not look at the measurer.

Wear no shoes.
Have the dealer trace and measure your foot tracing. Measure and write that measurement on the tracing. Send it with your measurements. Note your shoe size on this tracing.

Wear form fitting clothes, perhaps something you normally wear at the gym, or to run.
DUI will require a signed non-standard suit waiver.

Try on a stock suit and undergarments. Make notes as to how it fits (or does not fit) and pass those along to DUI.
If a facility does not have stock rental suits on hand, I would not consider them as "experienced" DUI dealers. The measurements you get from such a dealer (of limited experience) will be highly suspect.

Always tell them that 400G Thinsulate is the thickest undergarment you will use, unless you plan to use something thicker.

DUI handles the rest, and relies 100% on the accuracy of the measurements. I make no modifications to the measurements, they do it all. Again, the problem with fit usually stems from the measurer and their abilities.

Dave”

One recommendation with respect to the pockets. Get bellow pockets on both legs vice a bellows pocket on left and a flat pocket on the right.

Jonathan

Forgive my lack of knowledge of New York geography in advance, but how far are you from Vestal, NY?

Bob Sherwood at All About Scuba is the GUE Training Director, a WKPP Diver, dove the Britannic, etc. I feel sure he can set you up.

From his site:

Diving Unlimited International (DUI) is the choice of dry suits to meet your diving objective. As an Authorized Outfitter, let the experts at All About Scuba take the mystery out of buying a dry suit, and when ordering a custom suit, provide you with the accurate measurements needed to get it done right. We are not committed to just help you get the best suit…we are committed to help you get the best suit that fits you right!

Hope that helps. Bob is great!

While a very good list, somethings have changed in the DIR community since that posting. This is my understanding after talking with instuctors, IC's, WKPP members, and fellow DIR divers.

The flat pocket on the left has been phased out. A great many DIR types (WKPP affiliated or not) have bellows on both sides. Velcro, no zippers. Reason: A flat pocket greatly reduces what you can carry, and zippers have a tendency to jam at innoppertune times.

Apex or Si-Tech are good exhaust valves. The stock DUI has been known to leak. On the same note, the DUI swivel inlet is ok, as well.

The "classic zip" (the one that closes in the down position) is a better option than the newer "quick zip". Reason: People have experianced accidental openings of the zipper due to the harness. There was something else, but it escapes me at the moment.

CF200 kneepads are popular, as are the cordura knee overlays. Kevlar kinda looks shabby after a while. Its a bit of preference and it depends on what kind of diving your doing.

The zip seals have been tested quite extensively. I believe that Mr. Rhea has them on his suits, and Mr. Jabonski has gave positive comments on them on the Quest list. Think about the potential of ripping a seal and not diving. Be practical with your suit options. I can't comment on anything with drygloves.

On the form, select the clx450 style toughduck overlay option. In red, for rule #6.

Make sure your turbosoles are fitted properly, and have DUI install the p-valve and pockets. DUI will sew and glue them, which is more durable than glueing alone. I have Halcyon bellows on each side, and they're great.

Enjoy your new suit!

The question is: is there such a thing as a 'DIR drysuit'?

While WKPP has tried some features, installed this and that..... diving a suit that is not exactly the same as WKPP/JJ does that make you non-DIR?

I think not.

Having a suit with features that WKPP/JJ has is cool maybe, but dont be tempted to think that NOT having exactly the same makes one 'non-DIR'

Very true, but some drysuit options are better than others. The WKPP has chosen certain features to be installed after much trial and error. We take take their knowledge to help build a better drysuit than a stock suit.

I second the recommendation to talk to Bob Sherwood. The most important thing about the suit (other than being dry) is fit. It is worth having an expert measure you and help with the order. There are options I didn't even know existed (weren't on the order form either) that I never would have known about if I didn't have help.
Also, I just wanted to throw in that you can use any brand of pockets that you want on your suit. So if you have a preference, you can use the H pockets, or any other brand, instead of the DUI pockets. Just mail the pockets to DUI when you order and they will attach them when they build the suit.

Jasonmh:
The most important thing about the suit (other than being dry) is fit. It is worth having an expert measure you and help with the order.

YES

Add another happy customer to the Bob Sherwood list. He teaches a lot of classes abroad these days so you might not get an immediate response to a query.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom