DIR divers with contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZ Desert Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking of taking Fundies but I've got a question for you contact divers out there. How did you make it through doing drills/no mask part with contacts in? I can see a short distance without my contacts if I was to loose one while diving but I don't want to do a checkout dive with out them in. Can you give a little advice here? I've been thinking about getting corrective lenses for my mask but have yet to make that jump. Thanks for the help!

I just keep my eyes closed ... no problem.

I do no-mask stuff all the time with my contacts in and eyes open. I haven't lost a contact yet.
The most that's happened is one will slightly move around. Wait a few moments, move your eye around, and it eventually comes back into place.

1. Corrective mask makes a handy back-up in case you have any eye problems and cannot wear your contacts at some point during a dive vacation. This has only happened to me once in 9 years, but the mask with corrective lenses saved the trip. I've also used it lots in pool practice dives, where the water has nasties that I don't want finding a home in my contacts.

2. Use disposables and bring extras to the dive site. That way, if you lose one, you can always replace it during your next surface interval. See #4 if this happens.

3. Close your eyes and you should be fine. If not, see #4.

4. If anything is going to go wrong with contacts and diving, wouldn't you want to have that sorted out during training? While GUE instructors can get creative in cascading problems upon students, they are just attempting to create a realistic level of task loading that divers have had to deal with during underwater emergencies. It's not the actual combination of problems that's important- just the experience sorting out the scrambled brain and self-doubt they cause. If you're worried about losing a contact during training, then you should worry just as much about losing it during a real emergency.

Cameron

In my fundies class when you were maskless, you had a buddy holding onto your arm and guiding you so you don't need to open your eyes. I kept mine closed (I wear contacts).

I agree with Rick. Keep your eyes closed. It is harder because you don't have any visual reference, but it's great practice. If you're not ready to challenge yourself don't take fundies.

Good luck.

Hunter

How did everyone do who dives with contacts, did you get a rec pass vs. a tech pass? I've tried a maskless hover in a 3ft. window with my eyes closed and I was beyond 3ft. I guess I might have to take a chance and just open my eyes on these drills.

I'm thinking of taking Fundies but I've got a question for you contact divers out there. How did you make it through doing drills/no mask part with contacts in? I can see a short distance without my contacts if I was to loose one while diving but I don't want to do a checkout dive with out them in. Can you give a little advice here? I've been thinking about getting corrective lenses for my mask but have yet to make that jump. Thanks for the help!

I've never lost a contact opening my eyes underwater. In fact the only time I ever managed to lose one was water skiing. They're a lot harder to lose than you'd think.

How did everyone do who dives with contacts, did you get a rec pass vs. a tech pass? I've tried a maskless hover in a 3ft. window with my eyes closed and I was beyond 3ft. I guess I might have to take a chance and just open my eyes on these drills.
Tech pass here as well.

Again, you don't have to be able to hover in a 3ft window with no mask on.

When the mask comes off (other than in the basic 5), a buddy will grab your arm and guide you. This is about team diving.

You are worrying about nothing - go take the class. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom