DIR divers in Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reticentDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I recently moved to Austin, and I am looking for DIR divers in the area. I am certified through padi to AOW+Nitrox, and I will be taking my GUE Fundamentals in August.

Most of my diving in the past has been done with people from the DIR crowd and I'm just wondering if some of you follow this type of techniques?

Cheers!
Carlos

Hi Carlos, welcome to Austin and the Texas Swamp Diver forum! :D

Ditto what Ianr33 said. Lots of Hogarthian Swamp Divers, including me, and perhaps a few DIR divers. I'll dive with either, I just don't limit my options, reserve the right for personal preference, and thus am not DIR.

There's not any "Unified Team Diving" going on in these parts, which in my opinion is where DIR makes sense. Otherwise, the minimalism of the Hogarthian system, which DIR is based on, works well for most of the technical divers I know. :wink:

How you choose to dive is up to you. If you're a good diver I'd consider diving with you, DIR or not. It's the other way around that you must decide... I'm not DIR, would you consider diving with me? :confused:

Thanks to all for the answers.

ianr33: I'll look up on the Hogarthian set up, since I am not familiar with it. The card carrying thingy is not important to me. It is more the attitude towards diving that I am interested in. Thanks!

Zinc: Of course I would dive with non DIR divers! Who am I to be picky? I only have around 40 dives under my belt and loads to learn! I am just asking about DIR because is what I am most familiar with and because most of the techniques they use make sense to me and I would like to keep improving my skills. Since you also mention the Hogarthian system I'll have to look it up. Where do you usually dive around here?

There is a thread about the Swamper Fling on the weekend of the 19th of June. That would be a great time to come out and meet a lot of swampers, both Hogarthian and traditionally rigged. Great people too!

Wecome to the swamp!!!

The equipment configuration that DIR and a lot of technical divers use was developed by a group of Florida divers, one of which wasnamed Bob Hogarth. It's a configuration that you already know and use if you have been diving with a DIR team.

Thanks ZzzKing. I have actually just set up my long hose so I need to try it out. The Swampers Fling seems perfect for that :) I just checked the thread, I think I can be there all Saturday. Looking forward to dive with the Swampers!

The equipment configuration that DIR and a lot of technical divers use was developed by a group of Florida divers, one of which wasnamed Bob Hogarth. It's a configuration that you already know and use if you have been diving with a DIR team.

I think it was actually William Hogarth Main The Hogarthian Gear Configuration

A Hogarthian gear setup is similar to a DIR setup but is more minimalist. It leaves out the attitude :D

C'mon, not all DIR divers come with an attitude (although those who do are difficult to stand, I'll give you that...). The guys in the DIR forum are usually very helpful, and most of the DIR divers I know never passed the superiority smugness test and are actually pretty nice people :D

Thanks for the link!

there are lots of HOG divers in the area that do not visit the boards, I would suggest as you visit dive sites if you walk by a table that has a DIR/HOG rig on it stop and say hi.

Not that I'm saying snub everyone else, I'm just saying if your looking for those type of divers specificly there are lots that don't post so it will be hard to find/be introduced to several just by looking in this thread :)

Just don't forget about the side mount divers too, for sure not DIR but there are some that are going from standard hog setups to sidemount (or do both) and even non DIR rebreathers around these parts.

I got my "technical" start from DIR in terms of equipment configuration and what have you, but I am not a DIR diver, I took from them what I feel works best for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom