DIR / DIR Curious Shore Dive Event in Laguna - October?

What date would work best for you?

• October 9th

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • October 16th

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • October 23rd

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • October 30th

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ligersandtions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last weekend, a group of DIR and DIR curious divers met out on the Spectre and had a fun-filled day of diving. I recently posted a trip report and got a number of PM's from others who were DIR curious, but for one reason or another, had not had the chance to dive with any DIR divers and see what this whole thing is really about.

So I got to thinking....maybe it would be nice to set up a shore diving event where a group of DIR and DIR curious divers got together to chat and have a couple relaxing dives. We've done similar events in Laguna a number of times before, and they've all been a lot of fun. It's a nice location, shallow reef diving, and plenty of beach space to hang out on afterwards. I'd be open to location, but Shaw's has worked well and I think Heisler would also work if we wanted to BBQ afterwards.

We should plan on doing a potluck-type event, where everyone bring a little something (we can figure out what later), so we have some food to snack on while we inevitably end up talking for hours :D

October seems to be the best month for a number of us (who have managed to book ourselves through September :wink:), so I wanted to take a poll to see if there's any interest in doing this event....and what date would work best for everyone.

I think this will be a lot of fun and really hope that anyone who's even somewhat DIR curious will be able to join. Reading about DIR is one thing, but seeing the style of diving is a whole different thing. Also, I've talked to a couple UTD instructors and it sounds like they may be joining as well....so if you've got questions about setting up an Essentials class, they'd be perfect to talk to. I'm also trying to see if I can get a GUE instructor to join as well....so if you're interested in taking a Primer/Fundies class, he'd be the one to talk to!

Gosh I envy you! I am nowhere near :(

Sounds like a great event!! As long as my schedule's open, count me in!

Nicole,

Count Jennifer and I in. Right now, any weekend in October will work for us.

Also, I have an extra backplate/wing setup that I will bring. This way, any DIR curious people can try a backplate/wing setup for themselves.

If others have extra DIR equipment, maybe they too can bring it so that we can give the DIR curious people a great opportunity to try out the gear for themselves.

I'm in, any weekend. My brother is back on mon-thurs work starting in oct. so he's in too. I'm actually getting married at heisler park on Oct. 24th, so the 23rd may be a tough sell but it wont stop me from trying--she already told me I can dive the morning of the wedding :)

I'm in, whatever weekend you choose. :)

Nicole,

Count Jennifer and I in. Right now, any weekend in October will work for us.

Also, I have an extra backplate/wing setup that I will bring. This way, any DIR curious people can try a backplate/wing setup for themselves.

If others have extra DIR equipment, maybe they too can bring it so that we can give the DIR curious people a great opportunity to try out the gear for themselves.

Great idea! I will likely have an extra plate....and can definitely bring an extra set of regs (with long hose set-up) as well.

I'm in, any weekend. My brother is back on mon-thurs work starting in oct. so he's in too. I'm actually getting married at heisler park on Oct. 24th, so the 23rd may be a tough sell but it wont stop me from trying--she already told me I can dive the morning of the wedding :)

Wow, sounds like the diving bug has really bitten! For your sake, maybe we should steer toward a weekend that's not the 23rd :wink:

Glad your brother will be able to make it as well. Please do feel free to invite your wife (to be) too. Does she have any interest in diving?

Last week-end on Spectre was outstanding. We really enjoyed it, and will try to get to any event like it. October week-ends seem ok, 9th looking really good.

Thanks for the initiative !

Back
Top Bottom