DIR and NE Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJ Wreck Finder once bubbled...
There are plenty of DIR divers in the Northeast. And even more of use that are DIB (better than we used to). The boat captains, Danny included, have no problem with DIR, people who will only dive with a buddy, long hoses, etc. I have been diving off Danny's boat many times, and never once has he ever made a comment about my Hogarthain rig. I have been on his boat when a fully DIR couple were diving, right down to the pre dive drills. He only observed, and let them do as they pleased. I think most of the NE captains, myself included, have no problem with people diving DIR. The problems arise when that DIR person starts knocking other peoples gear on the boat, or their diving styles. I don't care what gear you dive, the last thing you want is a doubt in the the back of your mind when you are more than 100' down and deep inside a shipwreck during a silt out. (not from kicking it up do to poor bouyancy either, but from a current change). One of the good things about DIR is that it gives the user a certain confidence, sometime too much confidence, but that is another topic.

dive safe,

d

I couldn't have said it better. Its all in the attitude.. Too many DIR divers remind me of Jenhova witnesses (no insult intended) trying to convert everyone to what they see is the only truth and thats not good for repeat business if a diver is feeling pressured by others....
I am not DIR, I rig my OC gear pretty much as I did when I got my cave training back in '92. I am very confortable with it and have never had any problems..
I show all my students the various ways gear can be rigged (including the way DIR people rig it).. I let them choose how they feel they are most confortable (both TDI and ANDI allow rigging freedom, the PADI TEC REC program which I do not teach wants gear rigged a specific way).

I personally don't like the light canister at my waist, I will not wrap a long hose around my neck, and I want ONE quick release (helps me get in and out of gear easier and even if it did break so what it wouldn't cause any problems)

padiscubapro once bubbled...
I will not wrap a long hose around my neck

Just interested. Why do you say that? I have no real opinion of DIR, so I'm not trolling.

I'm just wondering what specific element of NE wreck diving has led you to that configuration choice.

Thx,
Matt

Padiscubapro,
Sorry to say, but the hose goes across the chest and you are not wrapping it around your neck like a knot. Why is this a sticking point with so many people?

Eric

I dive it tied in a knot around my neck and i do like it

lets hear your version, with it across your chest

roakey once bubbled...
One BIG problem I see with DIR in the NE wreck scene is that many of the boat captains and crew are OPENLY hostile to DIR.

Up to and including refusing to accept GUE certifications.

The Seeker comes to mind. Hostile to DIR and the highest body count around. Simply coincidence?

Roak
I think that's a bit harsh.

AquaTec once bubbled...
I dive it tied in a knot around my neck and i do like it

lets hear your version, with it across your chest

I dive it across my chest also. From my right hand reg, under both arms across my chest, up between my neck and my manifold, and over my shoulder and into my mouth. A seven footer is the perfect length for this. I use a clip and o-ring to secure it to a d-ring. My backup reg is on surgical tubing around my neck.

diverberr once bubbled...

I dive it across my chest also. From my right hand reg, under both arms across my chest, up between my neck and my manifold, and over my shoulder and into my mouth. A seven footer is the perfect length for this. I use a clip and o-ring to secure it to a d-ring. My backup reg is on surgical tubing around my neck.

I gues I missunderstood your discription.
You are diving the Hogarthian meathod.....me too

I tend to run it down behind my bladder under my light canister and make up the left side of my chest around my neck and into my mouth from the right side. I too use a 7' hose

ericfine50 once bubbled...
Padiscubapro,
Sorry to say, but the hose goes across the chest and you are not wrapping it around your neck like a knot. Why is this a sticking point with so many people?

Eric

I guess its a matter of symantics.. Ok its not fully around a persons neck...

The way I wear it its bungied onto the side of my tank (I guess you'll call me stuffer) and its sits like a normal octo (and highly visable), so when I'm with students I already can have it in my hand ready to hand off when they are doing skills.. I inherently know where it is (It always sits in the same place so I can easily grab it without looking) and I prefer to always dive the same gear config (other than accessories)so there is no thinking in a case of an emergency.. its all automatic.. with a student I don't want to have to switch to my " backup" and prepare the long hose.. I also like the way my poseidon cyclon feels coming off the right post.

I found the canister light on the waist a pain in the ass.. I tried it and didn't like it at all.. I will admit with a small canister like the new Sartek 9ah canisters it isn't as annoying, it was totally horrible with my 14ah diverite MLS (I did like the original butt mounted lights the best, I was sorry I Upgraded)..
I tried the "around the neck" and didn't like it either.

I have nothing against DIR rigging its just not for me, I believe a person should experiment in what feels best and what works for them in their diving situations.

A have had DIR people attack my rigging even by people who in my opinion are newbies or "internet" divers...
I do have a few drings attached to my back tanks.. They are used on occasion.. I can get to them an I never use metal to metal connections on anything that can get snapped to me.. When I'm doing some digging or working on something it makes a great place to put things so they are out of your way and still accessable.. Nowadays, I don't dive OC that much.. So most of these point are moot anyway since diving a CCR is definately not DIR. As an experinced CCR diver I have more options available to me than I would ever have diving OC.

techdiver2us once bubbled...
I think that's a bit harsh.

That's what happens when you don't actually dive, just read about it on the internet.
Opinions are like, well, we know what they are like.

Cheers and non keyboard diving

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom