Dir and Lift Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just for my own edification, what is the DIR method/manner of inflating a lift bag.
I understand that it is normally done with the alternate airsource, but wouldn't it be somewhat cumbersome to do that when one's alternate is bungied around one's neck?

If you're diving dry, you can use the DS inflator hose to inflate using the special inflation mechanism you find on closed-circuit liftbags.

If you're diving wet, or have a semi-closed lift bag (as I do), I merely spit out my primary, go to the backup reg and use the 7' primary to inflate the liftbag. Once inflated, spit out the backup reg, restow the hose and go back to the primary. Simple stuff.

You can also stick the "inflator thingy" in your mouth and blow it up light a ballon.

This works realy well for the small saussage, as its almost exactly 1 lung full of air to fill. Which is also nice since your boyancy dousnt change at all while your filling it.

This wouldn't apply to useing a lift bag to actualy lift something mind you, just for shooting a surface marker.

Thanx for the responses, folks.

OK then... I have to ask.....
I have one of those mc storage pack thingies on my backplate. How do you store/ and or retrieve SMB's/dive bags?? Is there a trick to this?? I stuffed a smb in my backplate and the other day the only way I could get it out was to take my whole kit off!

Tony.

The proper way is to switch to your backup reg and then use your primary reg to inflate the bag. You have complete control of the situation and the long hose provides plenty of manuverability to insure easy inflation and control of addition of air to bag. (You aren't in a hurry to get the reg back in your mouth.)
After inflation you switch back to your primary reg and your backup is back hanging under your chin.
db

tony c
i have a small safety sausage in the mc storage pack, you have to be careful how you place it as the dump valve can stick in your back,

I think it is pretty usless im getting pockets on my suit this week and it is much easier to have the sausage/liftbag rolled up and already connected to the spool ready to go instead of fiddling with connecting the spool.

tonyc:
OK then... I have to ask.....
I have one of those mc storage pack thingies on my backplate. How do you store/ and or retrieve SMB's/dive bags?? Is there a trick to this?? I stuffed a smb in my backplate and the other day the only way I could get it out was to take my whole kit off!

Tony.

If you pack it flat, with the boltsnap hanging down so it sticks a few inches outside the MC Pack (and on the side your going to pull it out from), you just reach under or behind the canister light (or argon bottle) and pull it out. It helps to arch your back a bit more while pulling thus facilitating the bag sliding out of the pack. Make sure it is empty of both air and water when you pack it up.

I also have a 3' SMB in my pocket attached to a spool, but their is no better place than the MC Pack for a full sized bag.

I had been putting mine in my mc pack with the boltsnap attached to the rear d-ring. Never had a problem pulling it out. Lately I've been putting it pre-rigged in my pocket. But I think I'm going to get one of the little sausages to orally inflate, keep that in my pocket and put the full sized bag in the mc pack.

Thanks for the tips!

I just ordered a new drysuit for myself with pockets and I can't wait to get in the water with it. Right now I have everything stuffed in a big pocket mounted where the cannister light would go (next purchase after my wife gets over the drysuit bill :) )

Tony.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom