DIR acceptable fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just seems like i would rattle all my equipment to pieces if i tried dolphin
kicking in doubles with reels, lights, etc

it's hard to imagine requiring less energy to do that kick than to
do a frog kick...

but... if it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid :D

Justin, I know where you're coming from, as I also am both a scuba diver ('DIR-style', been through the DIR-F once but am still working towards full certification) as well as a freediver.

First off, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds the dolphin kick to be somewhat tiring in the lnog run. A big part of this is because in all the gear required for scuba, you simply can't slip through the water the same way. For those who don't know, the dolphin kick (when executed properly) requires a ceratin allover flexibility since it utilizes the whole body as essentially a fin, by undulating 'through' the water.

The best fin for the dolphin kick (indeed, all freediving) is a streamlined, elongated fin of moderate to severe stiffness.

The frog kick and its cousin the modified frog, on the other hand (or foot as the case may be) require very subtle and exacting movements, such as the ability to stop 'on a dime' and back up, as well as turn with precision around your center of gravity (near your navel). Long fins will do nothing for you here, regardless of stiffness. Short, wide, stiff fins, such as JetFins, offer the most agility for tasks like this, mainly because sudden or sharp precision movements won'e cause them to flex like thermoplastic fins (Mares, Cressi, Dacor or countless others). For that very reason, stiffness versus flexibility, split fins, among the most "flexy", are a definite no-no (according to DIR).

I've tried frog kicking in my Sporasubs (freedive fins). It's extremely difficult and really not at all effective. I've also tried dolphin kicking and general recreational freediving in my Jets. They "sort of" work, but lack the swiftness of motion I experience with my Sporas.

By the way, Justin, more experienced divers usually aren't at all concerned with "how fast" they can blast through the water. After all, if you're breathing from your tank, who cares how fast you can get to the bottom or back to the surface? (That's thinking like a freediver on a breath hold) Besides, scuba divers who blast at top speed around a site not only use up their tanks phenomenally fast, but they miss all the best things to see, too. :wink:

I know you dont have to cross your legs to do it but its the only way I could explain it.

I do it when Im freediving but in scuba, I rarely "swim" up. I am glad you've mastered the dolphin kick, a truly versatile kick indeed. Just dont use it near the bottom, for viz's sake.

JustinF:
I realize it's not the best kick in scuba, it has it's place, as much as any other. Try frog kicking, modified frog into decent current.

That's one of the reasons cave divers use jet fins. The more effecient way to move through a current on scuba is to hide in lower flow areas and maneuver your way through it. jets shine at this.

True free diving fins are great for their intended use. They are even good for moving fast in a straight line on open water scuba divers. Very few open water divers use actual free diving fins though. The disandvantage of these fins is that they are designed for mid water use and are too big to get in next to a reef/ wreck /etc. and really look things over and be able to easily manuever without kicking everything, including your teammates. Jet fins accomplish these and a lot more other tasks better, and, once you know how to use the kicks properly have incredible propulsion.

On scuba, if you need speed you use a scooter.

Not a "freediving" example, but my BOW instructor (using jets) explained the dolphin kick as being good in Scuba for stretching out during a dive or using other muscles and letting your calves rest a moment. I've seen it quite frequently used around here, but never for more than a few seconds for that purpose.

... and no he was not DIR, just an "old school" diver who's good at what he does... he does use jets and a bp, just no wing :wink: (though he put on a bc for class... just never inflated it)

Tim

Again,

Thanks for all your constructive posts, I really appreciate the input.

The 21w HID is putting a hit in my pocket this month, next month will be fin time.

I will let you all know!

Thanks again!!

JustinF:
Again,

Thanks for all your constructive posts, I really appreciate the input.

The 21w HID is putting a hit in my pocket this month, next month will be fin time.

I will let you all know!

Thanks again!!
:rofl:

Most divers would have bought the fins first.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom