DIR acceptable fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pants!:
So, duh, use light, stiff fins with ankle weights :wink:

OK - there are a number of fallacy's to this argument, and assuming that "proper fins = ankle weights" is one of those fallacies...

HOWEVER, for the sake of beating a dying horse, let me explain for you using physics why even this argument doesn't hold water.

Take a sledgehammer. Move the weight halfway down the handle. Hit something. Now move the weight to the end of the handle. Hit that thing again. Notice a difference? Of course, when the weight is at the end of the fulcrum, the 'impact' differential is far more noticable. Which is why 'stiff fins with ankle weights' just don't work.

Boogie711:
OK - there are a number of fallacy's to this argument, and assuming that "proper fins = ankle weights" is one of those fallacies...

HOWEVER, for the sake of beating a dying horse, let me explain for you using physics why even this argument doesn't hold water.

Take a sledgehammer. Move the weight halfway down the handle. Hit something. Now move the weight to the end of the handle. Hit that thing again. Notice a difference? Of course, when the weight is at the end of the fulcrum, the 'impact' differential is far more noticable. Which is why 'stiff fins with ankle weights' just don't work.
Oh, yes, there's a difference.

It takes more work to move the hammer with the weight at the end. :eyebrow:

pants!:
It takes more work to move the hammer with the weight at the end. :eyebrow:
Actually if you return the hammer to it's original pre whacking potion the net work is zero (assuming there are not dissipative losses like friction).

Its actually quite a simple procedure Justin...

1) Buy Jetfins (or turtles if the feet warrant it)
2) Buy Springstraps and install them
3) Use the Jets and be in amazement at their feel in the water
4) E-bay the Mares fins and use the proceeds to get some Kool-Aid

Seriously man, the Jets are just about the most perfect fin ever created, no offense to "insert God/Diety of choice here". I know it sucks that you spent a bunch of money on the Mares. I have a pair of Yum-Yum Yellow Scubapro Twin Jets that I paid nearly $200 for that are rotting away in the trunk of my car. I'd sell 'em, but I don't want to pass the scourge onto someone else.

Get the Jets, you won't regret it. There's a reason they've been around since what....the 1950s?

WaterDawg:
Andy the Dolphin kick is when you cross your legs and move about by humping the water, like a dolphin does.

lol... i know what it is

i was just wondering how on earth it would be useful

H2Andy:
lol... i know what it is

i was just wondering how on earth it would be useful
I use it occasionally when trying to make headway in a serious current. For instance, if you want to get out in front of a wreck that has a 2 knot current blowing right down its bow to take a picture of the thing, the dolphin kick is a nice way to do it. You can get way out in front, turn around, and be in position to take the picture as you're carried back by the current.

You can go really fast with it, but it takes so much energy you can't do it long.

pants!:
I use it occasionally when trying to make headway in a serious current. For instance, if you want to get out in front of a wreck that has a 2 knot current blowing right down its bow to take a picture of the thing, the dolphin kick is a nice way to do it. You can get way out in front, turn around, and be in position to take the picture as you're carried back by the current.

You can go really fast with it, but it takes so much energy you can't do it long.

Are you certain you are bucking a 2knot current simply by swimming?

Green_Manelishi:
Are you certain you are bucking a 2knot current simply by swimming?
Around 2 knots I guess, whatever, you get the gist. Stronger current than I can swim against using any other kick I know. You can go fast with the dolphin kick.

The Dolphin kick is used regularily in Freediving as it is considered the best way to create forward momentum while expending the least amount of oxygen (if you know how to do it right), which has nothing to do with crossing your legs and humping the water.

I can only conclude that because it's not DIR, most DIR divers have no clue how to do it. It takes a certain amount of finess & dexterity to do it well, but when you do, there is no kick in the world that will get you moving like it.

I realize it takes a lot of energy to do it Scuba gear, espicially if your not in the best shape, but I freedive as often as I scuba, so I am fairly good at it.

I realize it's not the best kick in scuba, it has it's place, as much as any other. Try frog kicking, modified frog into decent current.

Saying the Jet fin is better because in murky silted water nothing can compare while frog kicking is as flawed as saying the dolphin kick is useless, more so if one thinks it's crossing one's legs and humping water, clearly one doesn't know how to do it, making it impossible for one to judge it's usefullness.

So I got a PM stating when you wear more then a single tank the stiffness of Jets (turtles whatever) is required because of all the weight. The Volo doesn't have the stiffness to propel you. It was put a lot better then that, but you get my point.

Thanks for all your help and iput, I appreciate it. After I get my canister light, I will buy some Jet Fins & post back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom