DIR acceptable fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinF

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question:

I am not trolling here, I actually live far away from any GUE DIR instructors, and do like the GUE DIR philosophy, but would like to ask a seemingly basic question anyways please!

I see most of the DIR equiptment guidlines as logical and my rig is very DIR orientated, but....

Why would one preclude the use of any fin other then the ScubaPro Jet Fin?

I mean to ask, say one has a perfectly fine pair of Mares Volo power they really, really like, cost them all kinds of money and work just fine for all kicks. Why would they not be DIR acceptable?

I have not taken any DIR instruction, because I am geographically too far to join a class, and financially flying an instructor here is not practical. I cannot see any risk added in using other fins if they allow the use of all kicks, only a more efficient kick profile then most, and they are not split, so you can use them in kicks other then the flutter.

I mean, I can actually dolphin kick comfortably, faster then most(including my OW instructor) can flutterkick as fast as possible.

Thanks for your input :D

JustinF:
Why would one preclude the use of any fin other then the ScubaPro Jet Fin?

you just have to compare them, and you will see... it's tough to find
a better fin (though i guess not impossible) for delicate work as well as
propulsion

i thought my mares quattros were awesome... until i tried the jet fins

if i found a better fin, i'd use it ... but i'm not DIR, strictly speaking, so
i can pick and choose (i also use a computer) :wink:

dolphin kick, huh?

If you can find a buddy with a video camera, and can find a set of jetfins to try out... have them film you doing a modified flutter kick, a frog kick, and a back kick, with both sets of fins, and you will -see- why.

JustinF:
I mean, I can actually dolphin kick comfortably, faster then most(including my OW instructor) can flutterkick as fast as possible.
Thats nice....but can you the following kicks effectively with your Volo's

a) Frog
b) Modified Frog
c) Modified Flutter
d) Back Kick
e) Helicopter Turn

I am not familiar with the modified Frog kick, where might I find info on this one?

edit: I just found a link with a modified frog kick is refered to as the helicopter turn.

So yes I can do them all without uncomfortable actions and maintan a spped as seen in a video here .

There is no such thing as a DIR fin. BTW, there is no DIR agency, association or other governing body. DIR is a set of principles and there are no police (at least in the real world).

Straps that reduce the chance of entanglement and points of failure (ie. plastic buckles) are encouraged as part of the DIR philosophy. Any fin that allows you to perform the basic fin kicks that GUE teaches are adequate. Stiff fins usually facilitate frog kicks, etc best.

H2Andy:
dolphin kick, huh?

Andy the Dolphin kick is when you cross your legs and move about by humping the water, like a dolphin does. Works well if you've lost a fin...not as well in a low flow cave.

WaterDawg:
humping the <snip>
That word has been outlawed by GUE...you must now refer to its politically correct way....hunching

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom