Dipping your BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Ranger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Years ago when I first learn to SCUBA, I was never taught to dip my BCD in the water before I put my tank on. Last summer when my son took his basic padi open water course, they taught all the students to dip their BCD's and then anchor their tanks in. Just wondering if everyone else does this?? I can't say that I do, and I don't seem to have any issues.

We teach all our students to wet the cam band, I always carry a big jug of water with me and I may just wet the cam band with that instead of going down to the water.

Webbing tends to loosen a bit when it gets wet. Fastening dry cam straps around your tank may be more more difficult and/or may result in a loose tank. Wet and then tight and that tank should stay in place.

I've always wondered who thought it was a good idea to make cam bands out of a material that expands when it get wet.:D

My OW instructors mentioned this. But I have learned what the resistance on the cam buckle should feel like if the strap is tight, AND I use a BC that has two cambands. I haven't had a tank slip in over five years.

I was taught the same way and teach my students to wet the band first. Never had one of mine or a students slip. If using a BC with double bands, tensioners on them, or some type of rubber pad it is not as big a deal but I have seen and fixed enough loose tanks on boat dives to know that more than few people have no idea how to properly fasten a tank. Having them wet it is just another thing that besides the practical nature makes them stop and think about what they are doing. When they expect to see that extra material get taken up they tend to try and make sure the tank is tight to begin with. I have seen as much as a 1/4 to half and inch of stretch in bands. DSS has a rubber shim that the bands run through and puts extra tension on them that works better than any tank pad. I make my own out of 1/2 inch 50 duro rubber we have in the machine shop. Not as fancy but work on any plate and are super cheap to make.

I removed the cambands and replaced with the Scubapro latch band. I have never had to dip and have never had a tank slip.

Your instructor probably just wanted you to get the straps wet first before you put them on the tank to prevent slippage. Nothing fancy about having to dip the entire BC, just need to wet the bands.

When shore diving I have a bottle of water, but honestly I wet the band less than half the time. My BC does have rubber on the bands to also help prevent slippage. I've never had a problems even when I don't wet the bands. When on a dive boat I never bother to wet the bands. Just one more thing to get in the way and most of the tanks get slightly wet anyways. It's nearly impossible to keep things dry on the deck of a dive boat anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom