Dinagat Island - a side trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clgsamson

Koya Kap
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was a side trip to our annual Sogod Bay dive vacation. One of the divers in our group suggested that we go over to Dinagat Island for a 2 dive trip (3rd dive to be made in Panaon Island). The requested trip, which is so dependent on the weather, was finalized after weather reports/forecasts signified it was going to be sunny and calm. This trip would take all of three (3) hours to complete one leg (Padre Burgos to Dinagat Island).

We started at around 7 am sharp under a small of cloud of rain. Fog was still rolling down thru the hills of Panaon island

4231682584_7bc2f1e36d_o.jpg

After about an hour, we passed through the port town of Liloan in Panaon Island.
4230915327_3e43bfef4f_o.jpg

4231683094_56aa66bb6c_o.jpg

We also saw Mount Cabalian, a dormant volcano they say.

4231683836_aae32f9335_o.jpg

closer view
4230916901_8f7c1ea50c_o.jpg

nothing to do on the way to Dinagat but to sleep and relax -
4230916693_786a7cb325_o.jpg

After about another 2 hours, we caught a glimpse of where we were diving for the day. These pinnacles juts out of the sea like mushrooms. Someone remarked that it looked like that famous Palau advertisement, the one with several small islands pic.

4231688108_82341aeb4c_o.jpg

4231688692_75cf27de9d_o.jpg

Our DM, Pedro, no sooner had us ready and got us in the water in record time. We dove the outermost pinnacle -

Dive 1
My dive log:
Depth – 114ft
Dive time 56 minutes (14 minutes between 110 ft and 114 ft)
Ave. Depth 56ft
Temp 82 f

Dinagat island - pinnacle

The first thing that you’ll notice is the incredible viz. I’m no expert in measurements but viz was like gin tonic. Descending and looking at the first level of the pinnacle, you’ll see undamaged and healthy hard and soft corals ( an American in the group said it was world class). From the first level on, you fin over a view deck like terrace and descend parallel a wall to deeper and dark waters (it was so dark down there that I didn't see the ocean floor. I need to ask the Russian who went deeper; yes he’s alive, thank God).

4230917279_4a93e7a118_o.jpg

4231687126_2edb03b840_o.jpg

There were lots of long whip corals, Myra saw a yellow blade shrimp and 3 xeno crab on the nearby whip coral, all these at 114 ft. Lots of big fan corals.

4230918161_2b8fc383a3_o.jpg

4232822454_dbe6de5d05_o.jpg

yes, thats the russian dude down there (I was vertical and shooting down at 114 ft).
4230918925_70fa2122e2_o.jpg

The whole place was really beautiful but something was wrong. There was no fish activity in the area!

We tried to get to the other side of the pinnacle but the current was running.I had a chance to hang onto rock and view the other side. Still no fish. We surmised, after the first dive and comparing notes, that this place has long been overfished. The fishermen that we saw and talked too were actually using small hooks to catch even the smallest ones in the area. These fishermen were from a nearby community with nothing to eat but fish.

To continue, we didn't see nudis in the first dive. As mentioned earlier, current was strong on the other side (east side) of the pinnacle so we ended up circling only the west side of the pinnacle. We saw the largest stonefish ever while a banded sea snake was spotted wriggling about near the end of the dive. My dive computer gave me a 7 minute safety stop.

Dive 2 –
My dive log:
Depth – 97ft
Dive time 57 minutes (12 minutes between 84ft and 97ft)
Ave. Depth 45ft
Temp 82 f

We were supposed to do the east side of the pinnacle but due to the same strong current we ended doing the west side again. We saw a banded sea snake, probably the same one as the first dive with its head inside a coral most likely looking for prey and didn't want to be disturbed, and finally saw a green and red nudi. Not much fish activity. Dive comp gave me an 11 minute deco stop plus a mandatory 3 mins safety stop on this dive :rofl3:.

Some pix from the 2nd dive
4232844236_8d3a56ddc9_o.jpg

yeah saw some of these too
4232052537_1d476618c2_o.jpg

usual nudi stuff
4232052115_cba5106d44_o.jpg

on the way back via southern tip of Panaon Island, we saw this passenger ship wreck (it sank last October) in the San Ricardo jetty area.
4231690770_af7b50c8e9_o.jpg

will I go back to dive Dinagat island? you bet I will. Life is good...
4230923861_395557e1c9_o.jpg

more pics in the set Dinagat Island - a set on Flickr

Last edited:
sweet pics koya. Thanks for sharing. Viz looks beautiful. My next trip in the PI 2011 will be to Surigao/Siargao for some diving, surfing, and beach-going.. :)

nice pics koya. specially love the first shrimp. pics of the xeno pls! saw my first one yesterday!

its a big island with superb hard and soft corals formation, but things may turn out differently in 2010 onwards....

Nickel miner allowed to start operations on Dinagat Island

The Environment department’s Mines bureau has approved the mining plan of listed Century Peak Metals Holdings Corp., allowing the miner to start putting up a nickel mine in northeastern Mindanao. In an order dated Dec. 23, the Mines and Geosciences Bureau said:

“Century Peak is henceforth authorized to proceed to the development and operating periods ... including the extraction and commercial disposition of nickel ore and associated minerals within the contract area.”

In the first stage of operation that will begin this year, the miner will produce 5,000-10,000 metric tons (MT) of nickel per year from its 4,000-hectare nickel property in the province of Dinagat Island. It will be doubled to 20,000 MT per year under full-scale operations.

The miner will invest P2 billion and $150 million for the first and second phases, respectively.

In November, the miner signed a deal for United Kingdom-based Gem Global Yield Fund, Ltd. and Global Emerging Markets Investment Advisors, Inc. to put in as much as P2.9 billion.

In April last year, Century Peak filed the declaration of mining project feasibility, which required an environmental compliance certificate, the final exploration report, an environmental protection program, a final mine rehabilitation and decommissioning plan, and a social development program.

An 86-hectare area has total resources of 11.900 million wet MT of nickel ore, enough to sustain the company’s operations for at least 10 years.

Aside from nickel mining, Century Peak will put up a processing plant with Century Hua Guang Smelting, Inc., where the miner has a 55% stake. -- Neil Jerome C. Morales

I did some more researched and it turns out that Dinagat Island has been declared a mining reserve a long long time ago. It has Chromite and Copper reservations in the Southern part of the island. Small time mining is present and now it's time for the big boys eh.

yes there goes the neighborhood.

I'll try to dive/visit the place again late this year.

ps - I hope they don't thrash the place.....you think its better than a coal fired power station?

Last edited:
I did some more researched and it turns out that Dinagat Island has been declared a mining reserve a long long time ago. It is divided into Chromite and Copper reservations in the Southern part of the island. Quoting a DENR official, he said "We believe it is time that we develop the potential of the Dinagat Island mine reserve, to take advantage of the big demand for chromite and copper in xxx". yes there goes the neighborhood. I'll try to dive/visit the place again late this year.

DOR? can we go, stay and dive there and skip sogod?

Back
Top Bottom