Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure this has been beaten to death in the past, but I couldn't find anything recent so I figured I would ask.
Yes, it has (been beaten to death). And there isn't necessarily anything 'recent' because it is not a dynamic issue. The facts are the facts.

In the Western hemisphere, most rental cylinders will be yoke. In Europe, most will be DIN. In SE Asia, who knows? While you can hope that - in your travels in the Western Hemisphere - you will find a charter op that offers cylinders which all feature convertible valves, I would suggest that hope is not a strategy.

The most efficient approach is to buy a yoke regulator first stage for which you can also obtain a kit that allows easy - QUICK and SIMPLE - conversion to DIN - or vice versa. It is not rocket science or neurosurgery to make the conversion. You essentially remove the yoke bolt and 'A' clamp', and replace it with a DIN bolt, to convert from yoke to DIN. It takes 30 seconds, maybe 60.

An adapter - recommended by several respondents - is fine. but many people find that use of an adapter moves the DIN first stage so close to the back of their head that it regularly bumps their head when they look 'up'. I have a number of adapters, and seldom use them for that very reason.

My first reg (bought 12 years ago and still in use) was a DIN. All of my 23 first stage regs, except for three, are DIN. I convert my first stage(s) - from DIN to yoke - when I travel, without difficulty.

As for the Hollis reg, I have no comment, EXCEPT - can it be easily converted, from yoke to DIN to yoke? If so, go for it, if that is what you want for whatever reason.

Yoke tank valves predominate especially in rental fleets as the DIN tank valve is prone to cross-threading, the yoke tank valve is more idiot-proof when attaching the 1st stage to the tank valve.

You don't need to justify your equipment choices to anyone. What I called you out on was your statement that DIN is safer than yoke when you provide no evidence to substantiate your statement.

Also I never said that DIN is safer. I said DIN is preferred by technical divers for the reasons given. It may be safer IF the OP is diving is using high pressure tanks (although Kwinter says this doesn't matter) or diving in places with hard ceiling (caves and wrecks) or places where entanglement could be an issue (wrecks). When I say wrecks I mean wrecks not artificial reefs.

I am sorry you feel insulted over my reasons that o-rings fail. In my 20 plus years of diving those were the main reasons I seen o-rings fail: neglect and user error. You added a third one over filled tanks. However, I usually check a tank when I pick it up. Usually not for overfilling but for underfilling.

I never said yoke wasn't safe, I said one was safer. You even stated reasons which one would conclude it is safer. You've yet to debunk the statement and others have added other reasons. But because you have 20 years of experience, my opinion doesn't matter. Keep waving the 20 year card around and be sure to put it in your signature for all to see so others know not to reply when your response is in a thread. I'll bow out now and leave the thread to you.

Din is not safer... Can you show me some statistics?

Enviado desde móvil con TapaTalk 4

In my short 4 years experiece in diving, I see more leaky/bubbles from a DIN connetion than a Yoke connection in water. Granted none are seriously enough to cause a dive. Just stating my observations.

My credibility? In this thread you say technical divers rarely fill their tanks over 3442 while in another you say it is common.

Tell me where in that post (or any other) that I said divers commonly fill their tanks over 3442 (or 3500) psi. HP tanks are not permitted an overfill. Very few places fill over 3500 (after temp settles) unless you're talking about fiber wrapped tanks like those used by fire departments. Those get filled to 4500, but most places don't have that capacity.

Just grow a pair and admit you were wrong. The reasons tech divers use DIN regs has nothing to do with their tank pressures.

Din is not safer... Can you show me some statistics?

Enviado desde móvil con TapaTalk 4

A DIN attachment in inherently more stable because a threaded closure is better than a clamping closure, it has an internal o ring- less likely to burst or extrude, and the connection is locked close by its threads, thus cannot be dislodged by a jolt or contact.

This is basic mechanical engineering.

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2014 at 12:58 AM ----------

Yoke tank valves predominate especially in rental fleets as the DIN tank valve is prone to cross-threading, the yoke tank valve is more idiot-proof when attaching the 1st stage to the tank valve.

Yoke "dominates"... the US and Caribbean RECREATIONAL dive market, but is NONEXISTENT in the Technical dive community.

DIN dominates Canada, Europe, Africa and the Mediterranean. Asia is a toss up as is South America (which leans yoke except in cave diving areas).

Dan-O

A DIN attachment in inherently more stable because a threaded closure is better than a clamping closure, it has an internal o ring- less likely to burst or extrude, and the connection is locked close by its threads, thus cannot be dislodged by a jolt or contact.

This is basic mechanical engineering.

Dan-O

well i don't think so sir.
if you buy a new scubapro mk 25, it will come with an din adapter for 4500PSI (300BAR)
most of the tanks for "recreational" diving are for 3000 PSI (200BAR)

see the difference here:
cimg1538g.jpg

are you sure that this connection (din 4500 PSI to an 3000PSI valve)
is this a better connection than INT?

not for me.
I you touch with this connection in a cave or something the proability to brake is the same or more than with INT.

And don't understand me wrong we have 2 Tanks at home 1 with 4500PSI with his mk25 DIN and it fits perfectly
and one INT for the 3000PSI tank.

WTF are you talking about? You are comparing 200 bar DIN to 300 bar DIN, not DIN to A-clamp (yoke). Both of the regulators in your picture will have a more secure connection than a yoke reg. It's just that the 200 bar reg you show on the right could not be used with a 300 bar DIN valve. But those are relatively rare. I'm not sure if any manufacturer is still making regs with 5-thread 200 bar.

Both of the regulators in your picture will have a more secure connection than a yoke reg

all the bottles you will rent will have 200din connections and the 300 din stands more than the half way out, this is what you call a more secure connection?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom