Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I think for now I will be going for a yoke valve. Easier to get, and I will be diving with rental tanks for the foreseeable future. I was really hoping that someone would say that the DIN valve had become much more prevalent in the last 10 years. I plan to buy the conversion kit as well, that way when I decide to move to DIN's I will have it. Thanks for all the great advice all!

On another note, What is the general consensus on the Hollis DC1 / 212 reg set? Most everything I have found is positive, but I haven't found much on it.

Richie, it all depends on where you are. Here in Jupiter Florida area you'll readily find both available. I'm always asked when renting if I want Yoke or DIN. Just this week I moved my Yoke reg to a pony tank and bought a new DIN reg. In the future, I'll convert the pony to DIN as well. For me it's about wanting to be as safe as possible and DIN is superior in that aspect. I also ordered the DIN to Yoke converter just in case. When I get my next vis done on my AL80 tanks this summer, I'll upgrade to convertible valves.

Richie, it all depends on where you are. Here in Jupiter Florida area you'll readily find both available. I'm always asked when renting if I want Yoke or DIN. Just this week I moved my Yoke reg to a pony tank and bought a new DIN reg. In the future, I'll convert the pony to DIN as well. For me it's about wanting to be as safe as possible and DIN is superior in that aspect. I also ordered the DIN to Yoke converter just in case. When I get my next vis done on my AL80 tanks this summer, I'll upgrade to convertible valves.

I dunno about Jupiter, but when I was visiting West Palm a few weeks ago a highly recommended dive shop had only one DIN-valve tank available to rent at the moment. They appeared to have dozens of yoke-valve tanks on hand. My wife and I both have DIN regs, so we opted to just both use our yoke adapters. It seems to me that outside of regions where tec diving and cave diving are common (and, of course, outside of regions dived mainly by Europeans), we who need to rent tanks will find far more yoke-valve tanks available than DIN-valve tanks. As others have said, DIN is fine if you own your own tanks, but if you are renting tanks outside of tec/cave/Europe, save yourself a hassle and get yoke-valve regs.

For me it's about wanting to be as safe as possible and DIN is superior in that aspect.

How many diving accidents are due to the use of yoke valves? None that I am aware of. There is nothing inherently unsafe about Yoke connections, if there were there would be plenty of diving accidents attributed to it. If the exposed o-ring on a yoke valve goes bad you are going to notice (or should notice) on the surface. If missed it certainly should be caught during the bubble check.

Your avatar shows you with a swivel or elbow on your second stage, that adds a failure point so you really are not as safe as possible. Does your first stage have a turret? If so that is another failure point.

So you find a bad o-ring on the bubble check. Now you're already in the water. Back to the surface, take off your kit, rummage around for a new o-ring, put it back together, put your kit on and splash back in. Easy as pie. Or you could avoid the problem in the first place.

No one is saying yoke is terrible. But the captured o-ring in DIN is a better design with far fewer bad o-ring stories or extrusions. And I think DIN tanks are a lot more available than most people think. Probably half of the yoke valves people are seeing in the rental fleet of a large shop might be convertible valves. And they are certainly growing in number.

And if you ever are really stuck and have to use a yoke tank with an adapter, you can turn the tank slightly when you mount it to your plate or BC or mount it slightly lower to avoid banging your head on the adapter. Seriously, a minor issue like that, experienced only rarely, should not affect a purchase decision. You will spend less buying a DIN reg and adapter than a yoke reg plus the DIN conversion kit plus the adapter you will want anyway.

There was a time when horse collar BCs were all the rage. Fancy ones had CO2 cartridges. We outgrew it for better technology. Yoke will eventually go the way of the Dodo.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many diving accidents are due to the use of yoke valves? None that I am aware of. There is nothing inherently unsafe about Yoke connections, if there were there would be plenty of diving accidents attributed to it. If the exposed o-ring on a yoke valve goes bad you are going to notice (or should notice) on the surface. If missed it certainly should be caught during the bubble check.

Your avatar shows you with a swivel or elbow on your second stage, that adds a failure point so you really are not as safe as possible. Does your first stage have a turret? If so that is another failure point.

Am I under attack? lol

I've had a tank blow an o-ring 15 min after setting my gear up. Luckily I hadn't jumped in the water at that moment. There are several points of failure and if I can upgrade one, then why not? The DIN is still a point of failure, just higher rated. Also, the most dangerous type of diving doesn't use Yoke, probably because there were failures.

Yoke will eventually go the way of the Dodo.

Yes and in the long run we are all dead.

I was responding to the assertion that yokes are somehow unsafe, which statistics show they are not. If the o-ring extrudes it is an annoyance, if it is on a rental tank the dive op should change the ring not the diver. The dive op should have also inspected the o-rings prior to renting a tank, but that is in a perfect world.

So you point of view is not valid because once an adapter is used there is NO benefit to a din fitting. You are basically trading off the probability that an o-ring may extrude against the certainty of banging your head against the first stage. I don't see where rotating the tank slightly will help and lowering the tank could affect trim.

The fact is that most if not all dive ops in the US will have yoke tanks. Some will have DIN tanks available or tanks with convertible valves. If the OP is SURE that most of his dive ops have DIN tanks then he should by DIN. If not, I know they will have yoke tanks.

As for cost, Din fitting for a reg is around $50 to $70 dollars. I am not sure of the price of a Hollis. A Din to Yoke adapter is usually around $30 to $50, so the cost difference is only about $20 or so. Not really significant in the greater scheme of things.

Given that these Hollis regs are on closeout for $199 and a Hollis Octo costs $129, it may be beneficial to the OP to buy both a DIN and Yoke version and a octo length hose. It would probably cost the same as a reg set, octo, and adapter and would give him a spare first stage.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 08:22 AM ----------

Am I under attack? lol

I've had a tank blow an o-ring 15 min after setting my gear up. Luckily I hadn't jumped in the water at that moment. There are several points of failure and if I can upgrade one, then why not? The DIN is still a point of failure, just higher rated. Also, the most dangerous type of diving doesn't use Yoke, probably because there were failures.

Technical divers use DIN because they are using high pressure tanks that exceed the stated capacity of a yoke connection. Also the knob on the yoke could create a entanglement hazard or get damaged in an overhead environment. However using a DIN to yoke adapter also creates the same hazards.

I am not attacking you but o-rings don't just blow. If your o-ring blew then I am sure that neither you nor the dive op inspected the o-ring, which most divers are not in the habit of doing. Another reason is the yoke was not attached to the tank properly, it sounds foolish but it can easily happen on a rocking boat.

Given that these Hollis regs are on closeout for $199 and a Hollis Octo costs $129, it may be beneficial to the OP to buy both a DIN and Yoke version and a octo length hose. It would probably cost the same as a reg set, octo, and adapter and would give him a spare first stage.
Where do you see them on close out for $199?

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 08:22 AM ----------

Back
Top Bottom