DIN vs YOKE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh man... you guys are killing me. I'll be nice and not join in on the puns. But it's tempting. :eek:)

As an honest answer to your question, I've had my regulator set up with the DIN first stage using the spin on Yoke adapter for many years without any issues what so ever. I've never experienced any out of the norm o-ring failures. In fact the ONLY O-ring failures I've experienced have been of my own doing. Not completely purging my reg before unscrewing the 1st stage and popping the o-ring off the valve.

What I do like is the flexibility it offers me in being able to use my gear on what ever tank happens to be available to me.

These work and are much cheaper than a new reg
Amazon.com: XS Scuba Din To Yoke Adapter: Sports & Outdoors
Like said, as long as the reg doesn't bang you in the melon.

Or you can learn to convert the reg from din->yoke->din and change it as needed.
I do this. When I travel, I know din is probably not going to work so I convert to yoke.
At home, I use my tanks, they are din and I switch back to din.
Conversion is about a 3 minute task. No big deal at least not with ScubaPro.

I'm don't much like the adapter poking me in the back of my head, so I'm converting one first stage to yoke for travel. Since my tanks have the convertible valves, I'll be able to use it at home for back-up or pony bottle if I need to.

Enough mit der yokes already.

"Or you can learn to convert the reg from din->yoke->din and change it as needed."
What dioes this entale?

"Or you can learn to convert the reg from din->yoke->din and change it as needed."
What does this entail?
It depends on the regulator. There are some excellent designs where the regulator is basically DIN and screws into a yoke adapter. Other regulators have two different "rear ends" (DIN and yoke) that can be attached, some easily, some more difficultly. I suppose that an adapter could be used on any DIN regulators, but you may on occasion (like the different "rear end") regulators result in a long and unwieldy first stage, with more seals and such than are absolutely necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom