DIN vs A clamp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c_m_wood

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm pretty new to this forum and havent posted much. Anyway, I have 26 dives under my belt with PADI Advanced Open Water. All of my diving has been on holidays so far but am planning on doing far more over the next few years whlst at university. To this end I have decided that it is time to start purchasing some of my own gear. I'm thinking of getting a computer of some description and reg set, both second hand. The computer would be whatever I can find that works and is cheap enough but for the regs I'm thinking Mares proton or similar.

My question is what would suit me best - A clamp or DIN? I live in the UK but would also take the gear abroad to dive. I have only ever dived with A clamp equipment (Malta, Florida and Crete) and have no experience of DIN though I have heard its safer. I am worried about compatibility abroad and at home as I would not buy my own cyliunder yet and I certainately could not take one abroad.

I understand that DIN to A clamp converters are available fairly cheaply but these would be another source of failure.

Any advice and opinions will be very much appreciated.
Chris

(by the way, we call A clamps "yoke valves" in the States)

i would get whichever you are going to be doing most of your diving with.
i believe that in the UK, DIN is the norm for tanks. and yeah, DIN is
considered the more "sturdy" and "robust" of the two systems.

you can certainly buy a converter, and i wouldn't worry too much about
another source of failure. they are simple, well-designed, and time-tested.

btw, i have Yoke regulators but DIN tanks, so i had to buy the inserts so that
i could use the Yoke regs on my tanks :wink:

Thanks for your help there. Having visited a local dive shop he agrees with you so i'll be going for a DIN setup with an A clamp converter. Should leave me prepared for any situation. Thanks again.

One thing that you should consider is keeping a good supply of o-rings when you travel. My wife and I both have DIN regulators, which we use for local diving with our own tanks. However, when we travel we have to use the yoke adapters. The one thing that I find is that I often have to change o-rings on tanks to get a good seal. T It seems the adapters don't seem to seal as well. I am not sure why and have used different makes of adapters. It's a small nuisance, but something to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom