Din to Yoke adapter. What is the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How difficult would it be to change out the DIN to yoke and back again? I just happen to have a spare yoke.

As said not hard at all. The key is having a thin walled yoke socket.

26mm Yoke Nut Socket

1" Yoke Nut Socket

That is all it takes for the yoke side (plus a socket extension and socket wrench). On the DIN side a hex head wrench is needed. With either they should be torque a specific amount.

You will spend more time getting the tools out than swapping over. The key is having a very large adjustable wrench or the proper tool for the job, to install the yoke fitting.

I would advise to never use an adjustable wrench. The yoke nut is too thin and too soft thus the wrench will often slip and mar the nut. It used to be just a nut and would set you back $5 if you screwed the pooch on it but now it is a larger assembly as shown above so the cost is more like $50 if you screw up.

I would advise to never use an adjustable wrench. The yoke nut is too thin and too soft thus the wrench will often slip and mar the nut. It used to be just a nut and would set you back $5 if you screwed the pooch on it but now it is a larger assembly as shown above so the cost is more like $50 if you screw up.
Have you tried it using a giant adjustable wrench of good quality? Has worked great for me many times over.

If I bought every specialty tool I was ever "recommended" to use...I would have 12 large tool boxes instead of 4.

I also did say the proper tool...

Mine happen to be from Atomic and they work fine. That said I also have the full kit so I can convert my regs to yoke and not have the extra length when I use the DIN-Yoke adapter.

I do the same thing if I'm going off travelling, where I'm likely to be using yoke tanks for most of my diving. That is, I kept my original Atomic yoke kit and swap that out before the trip instead of using the DIN adaptor all the time.

However, for just the occasional need to attach to a yoke valve, I keep the XS adaptor in my bag and have used it several times without difficulty.

The easiest solution it to attach that spare yoke to a spare regulator (definitely the best way to mitigate regulator problems).

That just makes no sense. What's the point of getting an adapter when you are recommending a SECOND regulator as spare with the adaptor permanently on? Might as well just buy a different regulator then. The whole point of having an adapter is so you don't NEED a second regulator. I guess when you are rich it is an option though to have a complete backup kit...

I have the XS Scuba one the only problem I've had is it got stuck on the din wheel and the threads on the adapter came apart (yep 2 pieces). I put a little lok tight on the threads of the adapter, not the din wheel. Let it dry and wrenched it off the din wheel. haven't had an issue since. It should be one piece anyway right?

PM dlent, a member here. He makes them, very good quality. cost lower than what your have mention above. I have bought two from him, if I need more I will get from him again.

Back
Top Bottom