DIN To Nasal Canula?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I carry an oxygen bottle with me but am always curious if there is a surface adapter for it, to be used if you need to provide oxygen on the surface.

Is there an adapter from DIN to a O2 regulator to a continuous delivery canula? Does such a device exist?

Home (Desktop)

I use one of these. They plug into a standard wing inflator and while not as efficient as it could be due to limited flow rate settings, it's essentially indestructible and you can use it on any regulator with a bc inflator *obviously O2 clean if you're using oxygen*.

The other way to do it is to buy one of these
https://www.amazon.com/CGA-540-Styl...=1520542899&sr=8-16&keywords=oxygen+regulator
and either remove the CGA nipple and replace it with a din fill whip adapter that you can get from Northeast Scuba Supply, or make a CGA540 to DIN adapter with bits from NESS.

I would personally go with the RescuEAN because it's universal and indestructible vs the medical regulators which can be a bit delicate

San O Sub has a second on demand stage. You can use it on every first stage. I cleaned an argon first stage to use with this second stage:
oxygen1.jpg

oxygen.jpg

oxygen3.jpg

oxygen.jpg

@Germie that's actually pretty slick. since it's for surface use I'd probably put a BC quick disconnect on it so it can go to different first stages but I haven't seen a face mask like that before.

My issue with those is that they tend to be uncomfortable for prolonged surface use due to the weight.

@lord1234 I didn't pay attention to this above, but you do NOT want to use a nasal cannula for surface O2 admin if you can help it. They do not deliver nearly enough fO2 to be that useful. You really want non-return valves in something like a non-rebreather mask to get you as close to 100% fO2 as possible if you are doing O2 therapy for DCS. They only give around 36% fO2 so realistically they are no better off on that than they are just breathing out of a nitrox tank.

I carry an oxygen bottle with me but am always curious if there is a surface adapter for it, to be used if you need to provide oxygen on the surface.

Is there an adapter from DIN to a O2 regulator to a continuous delivery canula? Does such a device exist?

As Tbone notes, a nasal canula does not provide sufficient FO2 for treatment of DCI. A non-rebreather mask with both the exhaust valves installed (most come with one missing to reduce the risk of suffocation) will work and in practice can deliver upwards of 80% O2. You can, of course, use a scuba regulator, as long as the patient is conscious.

There are several ways to adapt a medical gas regulator for use with a DIN bottle. Probably the most common is to start with a medical gas regulator with a CGA-540 fitting, and replace the CGA-540 nipple with a DIN fitting. The other way to go is to start with a SCUBA first stage, reset the output pressure to 25 PSI, and then connect a medical gas flowmeter to the output using an SAE to NPT adapter. For field use you would want a flowmeter with a dial gauge rather than a ball and tube, since the ball and tube must be held upright and stationary to read accurately. In either case, parts must be oxygen clean.

In the medical gas world, it has been common to use aluminum-body regulators for oxygen. This practice has become controversial because of a couple of regulator fires. Brass body regulators are thought to be safer.

@2airishuman low pressure components do not need to be O2 clean. Anything after the first stage regulator doesn't matter because pressure isn't high enough.
same with second stages on scuba regulators, anyone who says you need to O2 clean second stages is full of it. Now I "mostly" O2 clean everything, i.e. use O2 clean lube, and they go thru the same cleaning process as the first stages, but I don't typically use viton o-rings in there and certainly don't care if they get silicone lube on them because it doesn't matter.

Field use, something like the RescuEAN is much better than trying to adapt medical regulators for full flow applications. I do carry a medical bottle with a DISS port on it for my MTV-100 because I don't like bvm's, but that is only for a non-breathing patient. Everyone else gets scuba regulators if they can hold it, or the RescuEAN if they want a mask

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom