DIN Retainer stuck...and i mean really stuck !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Penetrating oil (kroil?) might do it it will need to be recleaned after getting it apart anyway

On scuba gear?

I think I'd go with using a bigger hammer even if the retainer is destroyed in the process.

R..

That is for after the internal hex fitting has been destroyed. Once you give up on saving the retainer, there are lots of options.

I rather use it before the hex fitting is destroyed, it's just another way to fix the retainer and loosen it from the body.

Why would you wait until you have destroyed the hex fitting when you have this tool?:)

I rather use it before the hex fitting is destroyed, it's just another way to fix the retainer and loosen it from the body.

Why would you wait until you have destroyed the hex fitting when you have this tool?:)

From the ebay offering: " This tool will save the first stage body when the hex socket in the DIN retainer is stripped:"

Obviously it would work before then, but it looks like it might be a bit rough on the retainer. Hot and cold water and looooong soaks don't do any damage.

From the ebay offering: " This tool will save the first stage body when the hex socket in the DIN retainer is stripped:"

Obviously it would work before then, but it looks like it might be a bit rough on the retainer. Hot and cold water and looooong soaks don't do any damage.

You are right, but usually I don't have the time for looooong soaks.:)

Something too few people seem to try is impact tools. Almost all the fiddling with heat and whatnot is no replacement for an impact wrench, as any mechanic will tell you.

Once I listened to a mechanic who was laughing at how much work I was putting into taking apart seawater welded pieces by hand, I have not looked back. Impact tools and easy-outs for the odd port plug and DIN retainer that stripped out because someone used a metric/SAE in a SAE/Metric hole.

Obviously this is trickier for assembly, but then again it was probably air-powered impact tools that assembled the parts in the first place

Something too few people seem to try is impact tools. Almost all the fiddling with heat and whatnot is no replacement for an impact wrench, as any mechanic will tell you.

Once I listened to a mechanic who was laughing at how much work I was putting into taking apart seawater welded pieces by hand, I have not looked back. Impact tools and easy-outs for the odd port plug and DIN retainer that stripped out because someone used a metric/SAE in a SAE/Metric hole.

Obviously this is trickier for assembly, but then again it was probably air-powered impact tools that assembled the parts in the first place

Impact tools are great on hard metals. On soft metals, I would resort to them before I went with excessive force. But there are gentler alternatives that are less likely to damage parts if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

Beano,

hand held impact drivers are an awesome tool. As a once Master Certified Truck and Auto technician, I learned that simply adding force to a situation didn't always work in your favor. Bumping the wrench works far better than twisting it to oblivion. A manual Impact driver does this with the help of a hammer/sledge. It will usually pop the most recalcitrant fastener free with a few blows.

image_17210.jpg

Put hold bar in first stage and clamp in vice. Insert hex key into retainer. Slip long, narrow, steel pipe over end of hex key (a metre or more in length) and apply pressure to the end of the pipe. The retainer will unscrew, you just need enough leverage.

Back
Top Bottom