Din hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't dived there so perhaps someone else can answer that better than I, however I would expect they would have some DIN tanks. I have dived Bali, Thailand, Truk, PNG, Borneo, Fiji, Tonga and all have had DIN tanks. The cost to rent is the same. You just have to usually let them know before you get there, or if there when you first get to LDS so they know you need DIN and that they take DIN on the boat with them for your second dive.

Now days tanks are usually made to take both DIN and Yoke. Its a DIN valve with an insert to make it usable for yoke. If you are concerned at all you can buy a DIN to yoke converter, then there is no tank you cannot use. If you look on the side of your DIN regulator, you will probably find it is a 300 BAR reg so will fit 300 BAR DIN tanks, 232 BAR DIN tanks and also (with a converter) 232/207 BAR Yoke tanks.

In my experience in Thailand and Indonesia Yoke iis by far the more common tank. If you want to use DIN ask in advance, most can accommodate some can not. I was on a boat once in Koh Lanta and there were some European divers on board we got almost 30 minutes out from dock when it was discovered they all had DIN regs and all the tanks were Yoke. The staff were not happy as had to return. Divers and staff blamed each other. Having said that I have noticed in the last year or two more and more ops are carrying tanks which have the insert to allow both DIN and Yoke. All the same it's better to ask in advance just to be sure.

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 09:26 AM ----------

Sorry Peter, read your post after I'd posted, pretty much same info.

Are din tanks common in places like cozumel, Bahamas, and other tropical places? Do they cost more to rent?
In Cozumel Deep Exposure Dive Center has DIN tanks (you should write them prior) in Roatan Reef House resort confirmed me that they have (few others dive operators in Roatan told me that they doesn't).
Rent cost should be the same. It is actually the same tank and valve, just they take insert out.
Actually all new valves now is developed with special insert, allowed easy change them from Yoke to DIN 200. I think this picture explain it.

Lol that's ok, its good to have others confirm what one suggests. It seems more and more that the DIN with insert is the only valve produced now as its so versatile

No problem swapping the hoses from a DIN regulator to a yoke or vice versa. In modern regs the HP and LP hoses are all standard. The inflator hoses are different at the inflator end between standard inflator and the alternate inflator/regulator, but at the end that plugs into the first stage, the threads are all the same.

The first stages themselves are identical between DIN and yoke. A yoke reg can be converted to a DIN in just a few minutes by unscrewing the yoke nut and installing the DIN connector. As has been said, a lot of new tanks come with convertible valves so they can be used with either yoke or DIN. Plus, a DIN reg can be converted to a yoke reg in a matter of seconds with no tools needed. For these reasons, there really is no reason to buy a yoke regulator today.

Note: The DIN regulator with yoke adapter does stick out a bit farther than a yoke regulator, but I never had an issue with bumping into it. If your reg is one of the inline variety (DIN/yoke comes off of one end) this may be an issue. Mine are all 90 degree (DIN comes off the side of body) so the extra length is not a problem.

Are din tanks common in places like cozumel, Bahamas, and other tropical places? Do they cost more to rent?

No, they are not "common" in Cozumel, Bahamas and Caribbean. But as others have mentioned, there are a FEW dive ops that have a FEW DIN tanks (or convertible tanks) available. I bought DIN regs, and while I can rent DIN tanks readily in FL, NC, etc., it was just too difficult in the Caribbean--always had to ask in advance when booking the trip--so I eventually switched them to yoke. Why swim upstream when you can go with the flow.

They may become more common in time in the Caribbean--especially convertible tanks--but that time is not here yet.

Great. I was hoping to achieve the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only place that I have any experience is with is Curacao, and the ops I was diving with (Ocean Encounters) had a ton of din tanks. I think it's because they get a LOT of European divers down there. In any case, a Din - Yoke adapter will run you 20 bucks at Dive Gear Express. No point in paying more. I keep one in my Save-A-Dive bag 'just in case'.

In any case, I'd check with the ops well BEFORE I showed up. :)

Steve

I bring an adapter wherever I go... if I end up finding DIN tanks when I get there, it's simply a pleasant surprise. They are becoming LESS uncommon in the Caribbean.

The only place that I have any experience is with is Curacao, and the ops I was diving with (Ocean Encounters) had a ton of din tanks. I think it's because they get a LOT of European divers down there. In any case, a Din - Yoke adapter will run you 20 bucks at Dive Gear Express. . . .

That's interesting about Curacao, since Bonaire is almost totally yoke land. Does Curacao get a higher percentage of European divers than Bonaire?

The DIN-to-yoke adapter has advantages and disadvantages. One major disadvantage is the possibility of forgetting to bring it with you. Also, some people find that the half inch or so the adapter takes away from the spacing between the back of their head and the regulator is just enough to be annoying. Others don't find the adapter bothersome at all. My point is that the adapter apparently isn't a panacea to the yoke vs. DIN saga.

Not all the lp hoses are the same!! I still have couple of them with 1/2" fitting for my old Apeks regs(DST and FSR).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom